Which to use Terramycin or Tylan 50 for sneezing & weezy breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Goober9, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Goober9

Goober9 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    I have 4 lovely ladies but one of them has been sneezing quite often in the past month (all other ladies are fine). There is no fluid discharge anywhere of any sort and other than sneezing and weezy breathing she's acting like a normal chicken. My questions are:

1. Should I treat her with Terramycin or Tylan 50?
    2. Does she need to be quarantined or can the other healthy chickens drink the medicated water as well?

Right now ALL ladies are getting 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar in their 1 gallon water feeder (plastic). They also get yogurt and diced garlic once every few weeks.

Please help. [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It doesnt sound like a respiratory disease to me. Otherwise your other birds would be showing symptoms as well. Additionally most respiratory diseases show more symptoms, not just sneezing and wheezing. I dont recommend any type of antibiotic in this instance.
    I suspect that it could be an environmental issue, such as; ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, dust inhalation, DE, pollen, pesticides, perhaps she somehow inhaled a feed granule (I had it happen with a Red Star.) Check and look around for anything in the environment that may cause her to sneeze/wheeze. If there isnt anything, the next step would be to consider a fungal problem. If that's the case, consider purchasing Oxine to treat the fungus.

3. Goober9

Jun 24, 2013
    OOhhh. Ok PHEW! I'll change the bedding immediately. I'll have to read up on Oxine. I'd image I can spray it in the sleeping hutch, is that correct?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If in fact you're dealing with a fungal problem, here's a link where you can purchase oxine: Do not purchase the citrus activator, it's not needed.
    http://www.revivalanimal.com/Oxine-Fogger-and-Oxine-AH.html?sku=15101-801
    Buy a plastic spray bottle at any home improvement store in the garden section. Mix 1/8 teaspoon oxine per gallon of water. Fill the spray bottle with the mixture, set the spray at the finest mist possible on the bottle. Then mist over the heads of your chickens 3 times a day for 10 days straight. Even though one hen is affected, the mixture wont harm the others. There's no withdrawal period using oxine.
    You can read all about oxine in this link:
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  5. Goober9

Jun 24, 2013
    You guys all honestly ROCK!!! Thanks very much for the advise.

Right now what the sleeping hutch and roost is very clean. Every week or so I sweep out all the soiled pine shavings into the run and the ladies love scratching at the big pile that's made. I love it because they incorporate the poop and shavings into the run's soil and is making fantastic fertilizer. Perhaps I probably wont increase the cleanings but I'll certainly look into the Oxine, I think you're right, it must be fungal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by