Which type is better, super fast CornishX or slower growers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cutechick2010, Aug 31, 2010.

1. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Songster

I raised my own meat birds for the first time this year, and I went with the Cornish X that is so popular (and easy!) to raise for meat. My main question is, which is better (taste and tenderness-wise) the fast growing Cornish X and similar breeds, or ones like Rocks and the like that are slower to mature? I have only ever tried the Cornish X for eating. All of mine are free range, BTW.

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets 9 Years

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    If you are freeranging anyway, stick with the cornish cross or go for Freedom Rangers. Anything else is inferior to those two.

3. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Songster

I have never seen the Freedom Rangers, what are they like?

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    when you say "taste and tenderness" there is a huge wide open window to what you mean by that [​IMG]
    IF you like SUPER tender white meat and lots of it the CX is really the best way to go - they do have disavantages, but by far the most white and tender meat.
    IF you like the taste of dark meat and want big legs and thighs, then freedom rangers or your slower growing CX's will fit the bill.
    IF your taste leans towards a more "chicken" tasting chicken and tender to you means cutting with a knife and you don't mind some clinging to the bone then go for some of the longer growing more natural body typed DP breeds.
    Many gourmets swear that the dark meat and skin of the silkie is the best tasting chicken out there.

6. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Songster

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    KatyTheChickenLady what do you raise/like?

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    What Katy said.

I'll probably raise some Cornish X to put meat in the freezer quickly this fall, but I will not get over the beautifully delicious roos (SLW and RIR) I've processed and eaten so far. I'm a dark meat eater, and there is just no comparison whatsoever to an older (like 15-20 week) bird and a standard 8 week bird. I think next spring I'll try to just get a bunch of DP roos cheap somewhere, and raise them for meat at 15-20 weeks. I'm drooling now [​IMG]

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:lol the million dollar question! [​IMG]

I am working on the creation of three of my own breeds, next year will be my first offering of them to others . . . NOT to be counting chickens before they are hatched though!!!! [​IMG]

1. My Idaho Red Rangers - a free ranging, self sustaining meat bird. Designed to reach at least 6 lbs by 15 weeks, to fully feather and forage for feed, to be kept over for at least several years for breeding natural breeding purposes. Their breasts are much larger than DP's and their legs and thighs are much larger than CX. They area happy good foraging bird - right now they are still growing a little faster than I would like (however I'm not having any leg/heart issues) and I'm shooting for more red feathering than I have right now.

2. My Sweet Baby Red's AKA the super layers - an early starting, xlarge green egg a day layer; with a calm personality. They are thrifty on feed and good foragers. The roosters have very calm sweet personalities. They are a solid light golden red color with beards and pea combs. I have all of the qualities right where I want them, except for all of the best males have straight combs.

3. My Idaho Royals - the ultimate backyard bird, bred first for personality, longevity and spectrum of color. Large green egg layers, with beards, muffs, slate legs, pea combs and WINNING personalities. These birds are the best hands down [​IMG]

p.s. like your car my husband is a collector.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  9. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Songster

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Quote:lol the million dollar question! [​IMG]

I am working on the creation of three of my own breeds, next year will be my first offering of them to others . . . NOT to be counting chickens before they are hatched though!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:That sounds like a real winner! I look forward to their availability. [​IMG] Meantime, I'm planning my first foray into meaties in a couple of weeks. I prefer dark meat - what would you suggest? Thanks!

Quote:I wish it was my car! [​IMG] That picture was taken at the National Automobile Museum in Reno. That's the only car you are allowed to get in for pictures. They even have a bunch of period costumes you can dress up in for your pics. [​IMG] If your husband is a collector, I highly recommend a visit to the museum - there are some truly awesome vehicles there!

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    well the freedom rangers will have more dark than the CX and grow faster than DP's. Barred rocks and White rocks would be my first choice in DP's. and if you want cheap, lean, dark meat I would just put an add on CL that says free roosters wanted, take all you could get, feed them straight corn for 30 days and butcher.
    We were just at Hot August Nights . . . Maybe next year I'll be bringing you chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by