Which type of birds/fowl do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by easttxchick, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Chickens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ducks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Geese

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Turkeys

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Peafowl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Pheasant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Quail

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Caged Birds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Many of us keep more than one type of bird.
    I was curious as to which you preferred and why.
    I love my turkeys and chickens, but ADORE my ducks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Japanese Quail.... matures in 3 months, the breed I work with is almost 1lb before being processed, and the hens lay 24/ 7/365 if you give them 14 hours of light [​IMG] Oh, and the hatching eggs sell well and taste wonderful!

3. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Quote:I just googled that breed and they look very tasty [​IMG] I might buy some one day. Just depends on if they will try to fly away or not.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Early in the poll, but I said ducks. They truly crack me up, their eggs are yolkier, they are just such fun. That being said, they are cooped with my chickens, so chicken TV includes the water fowl.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I just googled that breed and they look very tasty [​IMG] I might buy some one day. Just depends on if they will try to fly away or not.

coturnix (Me loves the Giant or the A&M) don't fly very far at all. Mostly a ground bird. Safer to keep them caged tho [​IMG]

6. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I like my chickens , but my favorite is my muscovies.

7. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    My caged birds are the easiest to care for , chickens are second, for me turkeys are the most temperamental.

8. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    I love my birds! At one time I had nineteen parrots, so birds of every kind, but I also have ducks, geese, tons of chickens from meaties that I call fatties to egg layers of different sorts, and TURKEYS. I love turkeys! They are so sweet and tiny but grow up to be hugh and wonderful. Mine never outgrow the sweetness as I raise them very gentle. Right now mine are 5 weeks old and have just learnt to run to their outdoor pen when I take them out of their brooder crates. They follow me and it's just a riot. They have to run through some hay that is very ready to be cut, so it kind of looks like the raptors on Juriasic Park II when they are running through the tall reeds. Of course mine don't want to eat me just get wherever Mommy is taking them. I love it when they streatch out their little wings when they see me and come running. They are so leggy at this stage, but later when they are really heavy they still try to do it. Later on this summer they will walk over their fence (it's only 2 feet high) and come over to the other side of the farm which is quit a distance as we have about 14 acres. They always come looking for me when they are missing me. Last summer I was taking a nap in the alfalfa where the turkeys are pastured when I woke up to this lady screaming. The turkeys will lie down on me or next to me and some were tugging at my clothing. The lady was driving by and thought they were eating me. [​IMG] My precious babies wouldn't hurt a fly. Well ok they would eat it but other than that well lets just say if your not edible you have nothing to fear. This year we were lucky enough to get at least 8 tommys so we are very happy; however, one of them hadn't been showing off from day one and strutting (which is just the cuttest thing to see) and was always perched up high. We named her Queenie Sofia. Well guess what she's a HE, but since he already answers to his name it's just to hard to change it. So we have a tommy we call Queenie. That's gonna look real funny latter this summer when he's all struttin about. Here's a photo of Other Tom in his boots. I used childrens mittens to stop him from hurting the hens. He was much to big to be trying any of that funny business, but I still candled every single egg checking to see if I was gonna be a grandma. He was also very tasty on christmas day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA

coturnix (Me loves the Giant or the A&M) don't fly very far at all. Mostly a ground bird. Safer to keep them caged tho [​IMG]

Same, and they're city-friendly. So you can have them in areas with no fowl rules, then they're in an "aviary" and kept for singing (thier crowing is rather lovely).

10. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Oh yes, and if you debone them, they make an excellent gouda smoked, bacon wrapped quail. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by