1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

which type of chicken has the noisiest rooster?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kmatt87, Apr 13, 2012.

1. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I recently got 6 baby chicks. They are only about 3.5 wks old but we are already trying to figure out if we have any roosters.
    My kids have become really attached to them already, but my husband doesn't want any roosters.
    Are there any breed that have quiet roosters? Which ones are the noisiest??

1 Easter Egger, 1 Buff Orphington, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 California White, 1 Delaware, 1 Black Sussex

2. onebigglo1

onebigglo1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    I have a big beautiful Buff Orpington that I got with a flock of hens. I hear him crow now and then but not very often and he protects his hens very well. He usually gets noisy when one of his hens is singing the egg song. He is very proud and runs around the coup singing with her. If you have one of these as a rooster, I would highly recommend you keeping him.

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    They are all similar in the volume. Many people say bantams have quieter roosters as they are smaller, but I find they are just as loud, just hight pitched!

All roosters do vary in how much they crown. Some of mine hardly ever crow, but I have one that never stops, and he even crows throughout the night unless I cover his sleeping area with a towel.

However, after a week or two, you will find you can not notice the crowing any more as you get used to it. It never bothers anyone in my house now.

4. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Do you have neighbors that are bothered? We have close neighbors on all sides of us. The chicken ordinance here states that we can have as many chickens as we like but if they become a nussiance to others they have to go. We have a crazy lady that lives right across the street that calls the cops/city on everything!
    When do roosters tend to crow the most/loudest?
    Our coop is going to be very well sealed so if it crows while in there i won't be too worried.

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    If I was in your situation I would just get on with enjoying your chickens and not discuss the matter of roosters with neighbours, unless they come to you complaining.

In the daytime the noise should be less of a problem because there are lots of noises from people. cars, dogs, music, birds etc and the crowing will just blend in with all that.

If you make sure no light can get in the coop when they are roosting, then the rooster should not crow at all in there. I think it tends to be the night that most people don't like because they are startled by a crowing rooster when everything else is so quite.

If you are friendly with the neighbours then wait till you get some eggs and go and give them some as a gift. If you give then eggs every now and then, then should feel a bit more reluctant to complain about your roosters.

One more point....your rooster should not crow a lot if he can not hear any other roosters. If other neighbours have roosters they tend to set each other off in crowing competitions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by