Official BYC Poll: Which waterer is better: Nipples or cups?

Which waterer is best for less mess?

• Total voters
Pics

cwelte

Chirping
Apr 23, 2018
Central VA
I'm an avid DIYer and am building my first coop for our 6 hens (god, I hope they all turn out to be hens!). Coop size is 48"x48"x48", 36" off the ground.

I know that I don't want a "traditional" waterer because in taking care of others birds, I've seen how messy these can be. I also know that having a dry coop is more than preferred.

I'm considering building a system with 4" PVC that would be a simple "L" shape. I'd like to use a bird bath heater in the winter months to keep it from freezing. (I have a tendency to over-engineer these contraptions, but that's 1/2 the fun, right?? :p)

So my question is this? Which is better at keeping the birds hydrated and keeping your coop driest?

Cups or Nipples (if nipples, horizontal or vertical?)

(At this stage, I'm also not worried about training them. I've heard that a laser pointer is ideal for that - keeping it out of their eye, of course!)

Thanks for the advice!

Which waterer is better_.png

PS: If you're good with your hands, why not show off your skills by entering our 2020 Home-Made Feeder, Waterer, Incubator, & Brooder Contest - And Win A Brand New Brinsea Brooder!

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited by a moderator:
The classic 1-2 gallon reservoir waterers work for us. I know the chickens are getting all they need that way, and they don't knock them over. We have a heated version that we use in the winter. I have had trouble with nipples in the past leaking and freezing, and I'm not convinced all the chickens get what they need from them. Not a big fan of unsecured cups either since the chickens have a habit of knocking them over and making a mess. If you do cups, secure them if possible.

Thanks for the input - I've been reading more and more each day about waterers and it's like noses, everyone has one and they're all different/similar in many ways.

I think I'm not sold on the nipples, but I would like to try the cups. I may even do both (a traditional waterer and the cups) and see what they all prefer.

I like that - I have a bunch of old brewing pails that I could use in this application. Good enough for beer, good enough for chicken water!

What's it sitting on, is that a 4x4 post?
I'm not sure what it's sitting on. I made mine on the outside of my run easier to fill. I only have the white PVC and cups on the inside. Mine sits on cement blocks.

Back
Top Bottom