1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

WHICH WAYS BETTER???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nefty, Jan 29, 2014.

1. nefty

nefty In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    WHICH WAYS BETTER TO RAISE CHICKS?? WITH HEN OR WITH OUT HEN???

2. kubota girl

kubota girl In the Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    KENTUCKY
    i have never raised chicks with a hen before... they do really good in a tote with wood chips in it by there selves. THEY HAVE TO HAVE A HEATING LAMP IF YOU DONT HAVE A HEN!!!!! Or they will die of freezing.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

I wouldn't say one is better then the other, just personal preference. If you have a good broody hen to raise chicks it makes it a lot less work for you. But personally I don't mind raising brooder chicks myself.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    There is a good BYC article that covers a lot of the pros and cons of both using a broody and using an incubator.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/broody-hens-verus-incubators-the-pros-and-cons
    I like both methods, it just depends on the particular situation. Think the chicks will be fine either way as long as you care for them correctly, main advantage with a broody is that the chicks will integrate into the flock better/ easier usually. For smaller batches of chicks I will use a broody if I have one, for larger ones I tend to use an incubator/ brooder. Shipped eggs I always start in an incubator, but may move the eggs to a broody later.

5. nefty

nefty In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    THANKYOU ALL FOR THE HELP

6. CasadasHens

CasadasHens In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    And it is lovely watching a hen with her babies![​IMG]

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I say, any way you can get them! If I had a broody, and it was her first experience, I think I'd be tempted to set some eggs in the incubator at the same time she started brooding. That way, if she hatched chicks, but did not tend them, they could be moved into the brooder with the incubated chicks. And if she successfully hatched a few and proved to be a good Mom, I'd foster the incubated chicks with her.

8. CasadasHens

CasadasHens In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    Great idea [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by