Which worm does my hen have?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Snack Giver, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Snack Giver

Snack Giver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    My hen has worms. They look like a grain of rice and the move like an inchworm. I'm wondering what they are because the waxine treatment I got is for roundworms and those look different as far as I can tell (from my google search). Roundworms look long, right? My poor hen has these short white worms crawling out of her rearend and falling on the floor for me to be freaked out about. I want to be doing the right treatment asap. Thanks.

2. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Working at a shelter, I know that usually the ones that look like a grain of rice are tapeworms.

3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    sounds like Tapeworm...

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    It sounds like it might be maggots which you need to treat quickly by applying SWAT or it could be tapeworms which you can treat with Valbazan. It wouldn't hurt to do both treatments.

5. Snack Giver

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    Ok these are maggots. I just googled the images and its for sure. She has been bleeding and had diarrhea for 2 days so I started cocci treatment after asking around. But then I saw what looked like worms falling out of her rectum. So I got wazine17 today too. Now I realize they are maggots and we have a sick bird! Please tell me what to buy, how to treat. This little hen acts sick. What is SWAT? Thanks.

6. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    Likely there is a wound in/around her vent, which you will have to find and clean, and tweeze/wash off all the maggots you see. Treat the wound with an antiseptic without pain killer, like neosporin. Apply SWAT, it's a fly treatment meant for horses.

7. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I am sooooo sorry for your chicken but it looks like you got the best advice. Prayers your way for your chicken. That's why I love BYC, the members are so awesome!

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    SWAT you can get down and feed and farm supply. One of the big box stores MAY carry it (you know like Petco or something?). You could call and ask. Try and pick it up tonight as it is an emergency situation. Wash off any maggots you can and apply a liberal coat of SWAT. The idea is that the stupid maggots come up for air and the SWAT suffocates them. If you can't get SWAT tonight maybe vaseline as a substitute overnight only. I'd pick up some Valbazen and use it (it wouldn't hurt). Who knows, maybe it'll kill maggots too. But SWAT NOW, FAST!!!

9. Snack Giver

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    Ok I also read to give a saline bath to drown the maggots and clean the area. Right now I'm going to do that and then neosporine the area tonight. Tomorrow SWAT. Thx folks.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Good call chkn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by