which would show better?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BuckNBark Farm, Sep 25, 2012.

1. BuckNBark Farm

BuckNBark Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    Hello- I'm hoping to show these guys and gal if they get better-sticking-out-chest. If there is a limit to how many you can show (like one in each class?) Which would show better- one is larger, with a larger comb and wattles, but he doesn't have lacing on the top two tail feathers (not sure how much he weighs- don't have a scale yet). The other is smaller, with all tail feathers laced (looks like some little spots on one feather) He has smaller comb and wattles. The little girl has nice size and feathers- so I'll probably show her for sure. They are all 7 months old. Won't hurt my feelings if you say not show quality. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    large one without lacing on top feather (above)
    [​IMG]
    smaller with smaller comb and wattles- not as pretty- not a good pose in the shot. (above)
    [​IMG]
    female

2. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    Female has darker lacing- I had to lighten pic- it was too dark to see details. Thanks- Pam

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the top one aslong he dosent get rooster Featheres

4. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    Quote:Thanks so much! Pam

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You can show as many as you like. I've judged classes where people entered 15 pullets of the same breed/variety. It doesn't really matter which of those birds you show. I wouldn't expect them to do well if there's any competition.

6. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    Quote:Ok- thanks! :) -Pam

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Enter all 3. Entry fees are small. Your big expenses are driving to the show, maybe a motel, and meals. Those costs are the same whether you take 1 bird or 50. So it will only cost a couple of extra dollars to enter all three.

8. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    I don't think it's about whether or not they are worth showing or not worth showing...or show quality or not show quality. What matters is if YOU have fun doing it. If you don't get a ribbon to hang on your wall, a trophy to put on a shelf or a wad of money to bank? - so what - did you have fun? If you had fun it's worth it.

Are you proud of your chickens?
    Would they win a show in your livingroom?
    Do you want others to see that you are proud of your chickens and don't care if their chickens know how to play Mozart on a toddler piano?

Not winning a tangible prize or not having an "ooo la la" chicken isn't the point (in my opinion).

My two cents: You take those chickies and you load them up into your vehicle and you go HAVE FUN! [​IMG]...and good luck.[​IMG]

PS - I may not know anything about chickens but I think yours are beautiful.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

That's ridiculous. If someone is happy with the chickens they own fine. Showing isn't for everyone & for someone just interested in keeping chickens the quality of the chickens isn't important.
    That said, the only reason to show is to promote the preservation & propogation of birds that properly represent the breed/variety. Taking poorly bred birds to a show, knowing they are not good examples of their respective breed/variety, is pointless & I don't see how it could possibly be fun. For one thing it costs money to show. There are entry fees to be paid plus whatever travel costs going to the show involves. Taking birds such as those pictured here would be a waste of that money.
    Beyond that, a poultry show is a competition. Who enters into a competition knowing that they have no hope of succeeding?
    As to your hypothetical questions why wouls anyone be proud of their chickens? If the show in the living room [messy] was conducted like an actual show, no they wouldn't win. AS to the piano question I suppose you were attempting to be witty.
    Finally, winning a prize & having a properly bred chicken that represents their breed/variety [ooo la la in your words] is exactly the point of showing.

10. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    Thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by