Which would you buy Sportsman GQF or Pro 1200 or 1202?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicknfishn, Jan 15, 2011.

1. chicknfishn

chicknfishn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    SW Washington State
    Ok Everyone

I have the opportunity to buy either a Sportsman GQF 1200 or Sportsman Pro1202. I think that I have the numbers right. Everything else is equal, both have been gone over and everything is either new or works well. Both have the acrylic door. However the Pro is 40.00 more. Have you had luck with one or both of these and which would you buy given the chance.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Do they both have electronic thermostats? I avoid wafer thermostats. Too touchy. I don't know about the 1200 or the 1202. I have a 1502 & wouldn't trade it for anything......except 2 of em!

3. chicknfishn

Mar 22, 2010
    SW Washington State
    I don't know, but I will try to find out.

4. Sir Birdaholic

I checked them out & both are wafer controlled by 2 wafer thermostats. They are basically the same, as far as I can tell. The double wafer system is not easy to get set on the proper temperature. Once you do, they'll work fine. The 1502 is around $650. I would recommend spending some extra on one, or change out the wafer controlled thermostat to an electronic. You can get them for $10-$15. If you keep it & run it wafer, may I suggest ordering a couple of back-up wafers. They have a tendency to not work well after awhile. They expand & contract to control the temp., & too much of that won't hold the incubator temperature as well. Whatever you decide,......HAPPY HATCHING!!

5. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    I have an old Favorite redwood incubator that holds 100 degrees like a rock. I have never touched the wafers and they could be original.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Either you're lucky, or I was UNlucky. [​IMG]

7. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    The electronic thermostat is around 70.00 to 80.00. If you know where to get them cheaper I would love to know.

Mine runs on wafers and hold's is temp without adjustment.

8. chicknfishn

Mar 22, 2010
    SW Washington State
    This is what he just emailed back to me. It is a muti turn electronic thermostats (not the digital thermostat) with wafer thermostats as backups. So is this good or not. Not too sure what this means.

9. Sir Birdaholic

This is GREAT! The electronic thermostat will run the unit, & the wafers are a back-up.

jmagill, you can get an electronic thermostat on e-bay for $10- $15. Digital electronic thermostats will run $70-$80.

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    first 1200,1400,1500 series. mean different thing in different years. I have a 1200 that has the electronic thermostat

so the biggest difference between the pro and sportsman is the pro has no hatching tray so the racks are spaced farther apart, as its been said wafers can be a big pain in the butt, the electric thermostat is what i love about mine

what it means is the temp changes 1._ degree per turn, can't remember what the ._ is

if you have a hatcher go for the pro, easier to clean

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by