Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SarahBC, Jun 18, 2019.

1. SarahBC

SarahBC Chirping

Apr 25, 2019
    British Columbia, Canada
    I can only have a certain number of chickens where I live, and no roosters. Just found out yesterday my hambright (cross between a seabright and a hamburg) is a rooster. The person I bought it from is willing to give me a pullet. I cannot decide if I stay with that breed or go with a better egg layer.
    Here are my options:
    Hambright
    barnevelders,
    Black Copper Marans
    Australorp cross

2. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

Oh! I'd take a Black Cooper Marans anytime. LOVE those dark eggs!

BigBlueHen53 likes this.
  3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I like fat, healthy birds who are good layers, and I've got a special place in my heart for Australorps.

But you shouldn't be asking what I like; you should be asking what you like. Good luck finding a nice pullet.

4. SarahBC

SarahBC Chirping

Apr 25, 2019
    British Columbia, Canada
    I am new to chickens so I don't know much. So far I like all of mine!

BigBlueHen53 likes this.
  5. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Hambright Sounds pretty. I'm betting the parent stock leads to her being flighty; likely not a friendly bird or one likely to advance in the pecking order. Not going to be a good layer.
    barnevelders, Pretty colouring. Solid, dependable layers, especially in winter (compared to other birds in winter, anyway.) They aren't a production breed, so they're not going to outlay a Barred rock, but they might beat a Wyandotte.
    Black Copper Marans Black with red necks and throats. Lay dark eggs. A bit bold, especially if from hatchery stock, but dependable layers. Not likely to make too many waves.
    Australorp cross Really depends what the Australorp was crossed with, but a pure 'Lorp is a large, standoffish bird who lays pretty well and generally gets along well with flockmates. Makes no trouble, takes no trouble.

ashawver55, SarahBC and BigBlueHen53 like this.
  6. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Given this info, if it were me... I'd go with the Marans, I think. I like the dark egg too, sounds like good layer and a good personality. But, as another poster said, it's not me, it's you! ;)

SarahBC likes this.
  7. SarahBC

SarahBC Chirping

Apr 25, 2019
    British Columbia, Canada
    Wow! Thank you!
    Yes, my hambright rooster is flighty. Which is sad because I bought it and have held it as much as the others
    I currently have
    1 easter egger
    1 light sussex
    1 caramel queen
    1 production red
    1 black copper marans
    2 slikie crossed with ??

I think I might go australorp just so I don't have 2 black copper marans. Or maybe the hambright cause it will lay banty size white eggs. I can't decide! I am still waiting to see if my two crosses and my EE are roos or hens!

8. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Decisions, decisions! :gig

SarahBC likes this.
  9. SarahBC

SarahBC Chirping

Apr 25, 2019
    British Columbia, Canada
    Update: the lady selling these did not get back to me. Now I am looking to get a few chicks. I can only get 2 more. I want good layers and calm birds. Thoughts on these breeds? I am brand new so I have no clue!

Ancona
    Blue Cochin
    Buff Orpington
    Easter Egger
    Golden Hamburg
    Light Brahma
    Silkie
    Silver Hamburg
    Welsummer

TheBantyShanty likes this.
  10. Eggcentric One

Eggcentric One Songster

Jun 23, 2019
    S.E. Coastal Georgia

I am quickly learning that breed purchase suggestions are as diverse as they people who love them. What do you like in a hen? What breed fills the checklist? Or new one? If you still can't decide, start flipping coins.. haha.... Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: