1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

While Bushwhacking for guineas I Found poison ivy/oak!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KCchickens, Sep 9, 2010.

1. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    So thursday before labor day I was out and about taking care of my flock, as usual. My young guineas were out and about following my turkey around ( Dennis ) as they usually do. I went inside to get some housework done. And after about 20 minutes I noticed it had been sprinkling outside. So of course I run outside to check on my younger babies and Dennis ( he's kind of a ding a ling). But Dennis had managed to get out of the rain, without the guineas, who wouldve guessed?

So what happened to the guineas you ask? I grabbed the machete ( not that scary I promise!) and headed out searching for them as the rain started coming down harder. Finally I found them exactly where they weren't supposed to be..... In the woods amongst tall plants and baby trees behind a fence. So I hop the fence and start bushwhacking for the guineas! Finally I get to them and shoo them through the fence and walk them back to there coop.

I didn't even think about washing my arms and or face. That night I notice my wrist is getting itchy and there's what looks to be a scratch mark on my face. I didn't even think about it..... Well two days later the poison ivy/ oak has spread from my wrist to covering my arm, on my other arm, my legs, my stomach, some of my face, and even my ear! Holy crap! And of course it was a weekend followed by a holiday so doctors office wasn't open so all that was left was the ER. They all looked at me like I was a leper! ( no offense to anybody!) and I'm terrified of needles so then I panic and cry when they even metion the word shot! My husband just shakes his head. So on steroids now. Woohoo! But worried about scarring now. [​IMG]

So my thing is.... I know I'm not the ONLY one that happens to! Has anyone else suffered in some way or put themselves in danger in anway for your birds? Or end up looking like you have scabies?

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Just this morning I see a fox running around the chicken coops. Of course I go out, in my PJ's with the only gun I have, my son's BB gun. Right after the fox I go. DUH! Lucky the thing didn't turn around and come after me. Like a BB gun would do anything. Like I said, DUH!

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    KNOW YOUR ENEMY ...

I can freakin' spot poison ivy from 100 yards! LOL.

I'm so sorry for what you're going thorugh, I react and have spent many seasons MISERABLE ..

We are still erradicating PI on our place, but I can spot a little bitty one trying to come back like it was a big ol' hunk of gold or something ..

hate Hate HATE the stuff!

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I am not allergic to either poison ivy or oak but can recognize it at well over 100 yds. My DW who was so allergic as a child that she had to be immunized against it--which means she now only gets mild infections--will be standing in the middle of a patch of it before she realizes there is any around. Go figure.

5. KCchickens

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Quote:[​IMG]. That's what I wouldve done! Anything you can do to show your boss! But we have the 22 sitting by the door ..... Gotta be prepared I guess. I've been waiting for mr owl:D

6. KCchickens

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Quote:I am not allergic to either poison ivy or oak but can recognize it at well over 100 yds. My DW who was so allergic as a child that she had to be immunized against it--which means she now only gets mild infections--will be standing in the middle of a patch of it before she realizes there is any around. Go figure.

oh it makes me sooooooo mad! I can spot it, if I'm looking for it. My dad taught mr when I was young. But apparently when you have a weapon in your hand you think your a teeny bit
    invincible.... Which apparently I do. [​IMG]

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Supposedly I'm not even allergic to poison ivy but I haven't tested that, just took mom's word... (I used to roll in the stuff but not a single itch while mom broke out massively after hauling me out) ...but I still get freaked out when I see Virginia Creeper... as PI often grows near it... ala this pic...

[​IMG]

My In Laws back yard, side yard, etc is covered and I can't sit anywhere without being a nervous wreck.

Unfortunately OUR backyard also has quite a bit of it... along the fence, under bushes, etc... same places you'd find PI. Freaks me out anytime I go around the edge of the coop.

8. KCchickens

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Quote:Oh I'm so sorry for you! I'd never go outside! The poor chickens would end up fending for themselves! And I would become super recluse.

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I have PI over the fence from my yard. It is one of the few things I will use chemicals to kill. Roundup sprayed on and near it kills everything it touches, except the PI. Luckily, as soon as a leaf shows itself on my side of the fence the chickens eat it. It seems to be one of their preferred plants, along with my roses.

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Leaves of three
    Let it be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by