While in NY........ (help needed!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 13, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I had my moms friend take care of my ducks/ducklings, and it rained ALOT now the ducklings area is filled with gross nasty wet food! And its moldy! Im going out right now to fix it, but is it ok for them to be in gross mud? If not I will take them out and put them somewhere else?! Help me!

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Ducks usually love playing in mud!!! But if its poopie old mud that has a smell you should probably move them.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:It smell horrible! Im not sure how long its been that way either! Im going to put some straw down quick, do you think that will help?

4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Hey! Just thought of something! Could I put the six 8 to9 week old ducks with my moms five silkie bantams??? Their pen is nowhere close to as wet as the ducks.

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I don't think that silkie pen will stay as dry as it is if you add ducks! Might be alright to buy some time though to make other arrangements, use it as temporary.

Oh forgot to say... that stinky gross mud isn't good to let them live in, so moving is best. But watch to make sure they don't injure the Silkies.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  6. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

You can try but watch them close for a little bit. You could always put up a make shift fence in the chicken pen just till you get back and can clean their pen out.

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Straw will just get yucky and heavy! Sand, dri-stall or something similar to dry up the mud helps alot. unfortuately we have 20 ducks and though their run is huge it is constantly muddy especially since it's rainy alot. I had a system where they didn't get their water all over that helped keep down the muddiness, but the DS who takes care of the ducks (they belong to him) didn't like it. They ducks and geese come out every morning and rush to the pond or open water holder we have through out the yard to preen. We also have a hand tiller to turn the mud and the dry dirt underneath.

Of course getting rid of the moldy area is a must! Which of course you know.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    thanks soo much guys for the replys, im gonna move the ducklings in the silkie pen for a day or two, and the big ducks will either go in with the RIR chicken pen, or a kennal (AKA breeding pen) in the goat pasture. Then im gonna turn up al the muddy stuff and hope it dryes out. Thanks again guys, you all helped me so much!

Oh BTW they wont hurt the silkies, those little birds can hold their own, lol.

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    UPDATE!!!:
    I moved the big ducks in the RIR pen, they are doing good, and all the silkies are in the yard, so now its a duckling pen lol. Everyone is good. Thanks again!

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would consider shoveling out at least some of the top layer to get the spoiled food out of there - I think it will just create more moldy mess.

Adding straw may just feed the beast.

I wonder if some peat moss mixed in might help dry it up and discourage ickies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by