Whimmpy Roos

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chilebound, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Chilebound

Chilebound Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    After several years of study and contemplation, this is my first year of chicken. I order 25 standard day old pullets (some of these, some of those--six different breeds) from Meyers. I am mostly very pleased, they are healthy and seem to be of decent quality--they even tossed in a few extras. They do warn that about 10% will be Roos, which is exactly what happened. But two of the three roos are very effeminante, smaller even than the hens, havent crowed yet and are very whimmpy. I think they are desitined for new homes. My question is why-how did this happen, is it a result of thier sexing the chicks? (they are now 14 weeks old) Also when can I look for my first eggs?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    When you get your first eggs depends on the breed of the chicken.........but as a general idea, you're looking at around 25 weeks. As for the roos, maybe they just haven't hit their spurt yet. You know, don't quite know their role yet [​IMG] I have 3 roo's and 1 of them is whimpy-kinda-the girls do their best at letting him know that he's not the alpha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by