whining complaining yelling orps

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lisababes, Oct 2, 2012.

1. lisababes

lisababes Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Unless we let our chickens out of their run and into the yard, the buff orpington complains loudly from dawn til dusk, and is risking the soup pot via the man of the house. The red star whines a bit too, but its a higher pitch moan and less of a yelling chicken noise. The easter eggers are pretty quiet (but they're lowest on the pecking order too)

Buff orp noise: AAAAGGGHHHKKKKKK AAAK AKKK AAKKK aaakk akk aak ak ak... trailing off at the end until the next breath: AAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKk aakkkk akk akk akk akk akkk akk ak ak

Repeat INFINITELY. loudly. somehow, never going hoarse.

letting them out is the only thing that shuts her up (and we live in the city so I dont want to leave em open at night b/c of raccoons, and dont want to let them out when Im not home in case theres an issue or they manage to get out of the yard). Its worst in the morning / afternoon.

Anyone else have this issue? Is the next chicken going to just take over squaking once she's gone? Or are buff's notoriously whiners / screamers? Weve had two other BO, both were fairly vocal too. We gave one away for that same reason. BOs can be such friendly sweet birds, but this is really annoying.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If she is your third loud/annoying one, probably best to avoid that breed from now on. [​IMG]

I've had Orps, but not Buff, and none of mine have been loud, but it sounds like your girl has learned that if she's loud, you'll let her out - pretty smart girl!

3. lisababes

lisababes Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Right on, she has us figured out! Yeah, she's our only one left from the original 3 we had. I guess Im just concerned that if I avoid orps (a breed I like otherwise) that the next breed will just pick up where she left off. Ive read other threads complaining about EE being loud, but mine are practically silent, or maybe they're just deafened into shock from the orp ;)

Maybe its just MY batch of orpingtons?

I can't believe she never goes hoarse. I should donate her vocal cords to Adele next time she needs some, cuz those things will never wear out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by