Whining Sound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by enggass, Aug 18, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I have an 18 week old Lav Ameraucana that just this evening began making a funny sound... As if she is whining while she breaths... As if she were wheezing, but it sound more like a quiet chicken noise or whine and less of a wheezing sound like breathing. Every so often she then 'barks' for lack of a better term/description. Hard to explain... Any ideas? Haven't seen poop yet, am trying...

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi there! Long time no see! Sounds like a respiratory illness starting with that hen. I would isolate her, and give her either Tylan, or Denegard in the drinking water. Both work great!

Some people will cull a sick bird. That is a personal choice and good luck, whatever you decide. I will doctor mine, but then I don't ever sell them. I keep a closed flock now. (I actually think my birds got an illness from another bird I purchased at a poultry show.)

Sharon

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I have a hen that whines everyday and I have one that honks like a duck.[​IMG] Are yours eating and drinking ok. I haven't a clue b/c I'm pretty new to chickens about 9 months in.

Hope it's all nothing to worry about.

4. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    i had 1 that would whinne(mix of a whine and a whease) because it wasnt getting anough water

5. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks All. Hi Chicmom [​IMG] How goes it with your birdies? Any more hatches?

UPDATE: My Ameraucana in question seems fine this morning - weird! I will monitor, that's for sure. It is a closed flock. No newbies have been introduced...

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by