whipworms in chickens?

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
I just found out my dog has whipworms, so I am treating both dogs for it. I was told cats cannot get them, so I am covered there. Im wondering if chickens can get whips, or could my dog have gotten whips from the chickens? My dog did her business along the woods line, and as gross as it is, I think I saw one of my chickens over there pecking at it. eww. I took the hose to it to get rid and she went after it still. Should I be concerned? Also if anyone may know if horses can get whips that would be great too. Thanks!

I dont know if chickens can get or carry whipworms. However, in the Merck Vet Manual it states that fenbendazole in conjunction with praziquantel (there are other wormers mentioned for dogs as well) will kill whipworms in dogs. It just so happens that both fenbendazole and praziquantel can be used used in chickens also (I've used both,) of course at lower dosages. So, if you have a regular worming schedule...include those wormers for your chickens (and dogs) and you wont have anything to worry about. You can look up the dosages for your dog online. If you need the dosages for chickens; Safeguard paste (fenbendazole) a "pea" size dose for each chicken, easiest if put it on a small piece of bread and given to them. Quest Plus (moxidectin/praziquantel) is a paste as well...dosage is a "BB" size dose for each chicken, on a piece of bread for each chicken. Both safeguard and quest plus are equine wormers and both require a 14 day withdrawal. Fenbendazole kills roundworms and other types of worms, praziquantel also kills tapeworms.

ok thankyou, i might worm just to be on the safe side. my flock is all different ages, from 2 months to maybe 8? and guineas that are about a month maybe a little more. can i worm guineas the same way? and if i worm with the safeguard do i toss the eggs for a while? if so how long?

Quote:
I dont see any reason you cant worm the guineas as well. If they are larger than your standard size chickens, I'd increase the safeguard dosage to a large "pea" size. Yes, you have to toss the eggs for 14 days.

Back
Top Bottom