whiskey for my men, fish for my chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by auntpeep, Sep 5, 2010.

1. auntpeep

auntpeep Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    Ok, so I read that chickens really love tuna and other canned fish. My son and I have been crawfdad fishing for the past few day, and occasionally we catch a small fish. Do you think my chickens would eat raw fish? Will to much fish make the eggs taste fishy? Can raw fish give them worm?(maybe I should cool it!)

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Your chickens will love a fish dinner.

I have not heard that fish causes fishy eggs or worms, in chickens.

Imp

3. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    What about if you catch the fish in a river that is somewhat polluted (say polluted enough that I wouldn't ever eat anything I caught)? Would it be ok to feed the fish to your chickens and then eat their eggs?
    [​IMG]

4. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    I don't believe it would make the eggs taste fishy. Now if you fed your chickens a very high diet of fish, the flesh itself could acquire an off taste just as wild ducks that eat lots of fish.

...JP

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

matimeo,
    I would not feed polluted fish to anything. Some of the pollutants can pass through, like heavy metals. Just not worth it for a little bit of food.

Imp

6. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Quote:I think you already know the answer.

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Catch and release out of that river! You definitely have some great, relatively unpolluted rivers around you though.

8. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    If I wouldnt eat it, I be dang if I would feed it to my chickens.... Yes, if they eat enough fish the eggs will taste fishy....[​IMG]

9. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Depends. If you have 20 chickens a few small fish are probably fine. If you have 2 chickens, I'd hold off.

10. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    When I catch more trout than I will use, I can them for the chickens. They absolutely love it, but there's not much chickens don't love. I also can mine, but put in a little salt and jalapeno peppers. Yum!! Even though it's 90 min at 15 lb pressure, it's worth it! And canning breaks down the bones so I don't have to worry about them for the girls or for me.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by