1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whistle Cluck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yellowbee0110, Feb 9, 2017.

1. yellowbee0110

yellowbee0110 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2016
    North Carolina, USA
    Clementine is the sweet delaware you see here. She is young and healthy and has only been laying for about 6 weeks. She is my most vocal hen, squawks up a storm at us. Yesterday she was less vocal...nobody got verbally assaulted when they were in the yard. This morning I noticed a faint whistling when she clucks. Every time she clucks. She seems fine and eating and trying to escape the coop as normal. I felt around her throat area, but I don't know what I'm doing. It felt chickeny to me.

Anybody had a whistling chicken before? Could she be hoarse from being such a loud mouth?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is nothing to worry about.....She probably dust bathed and has a bit of dust in her nostrils.....Mine get whistling once in awhile too......

Cute photo!

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sometimes they can get a slight respiratory thing that they get over in a week or two. Make sure the coop isn't too dusty as mentioned and there's nothing moldy. Good ventilation is important for chickens to maintain a healthy respiratory tract.

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If a respiratory illness, that noise would be heard on inhalation/exhalation even at rest.
    Otherwise, chickens can make all sorts of noises.

1 person likes this.
  5. yellowbee0110

yellowbee0110 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2016
    North Carolina, USA
    I'm pleased to report that I haven't heard any whistling over the last two days. Everybody seems good. Thanks so much for your input everyone!

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That good to hear. Thank you for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by