1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Ameraucana rooster or EE (not sure) X lavender orpington ??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by oliviaandjosh4, Jan 22, 2015.

1. oliviaandjosh4

oliviaandjosh4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    I am buying a completely white Ameraucana (or EE, can't tell difference) rooster and I have 2 lavender orpington hens I want to hatch eggs from once he breeds them. What would the baby chicks look like?? Also, what are the chances the chicks would lay blue or green eggs?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    The way you can tell if you have an purebred Ameraucana or an Easter Egger is by what color egg it lays Easter Eggers are known to lay green and sometimes even pink eggs (I have seen some cases) where the purebred will only lay blue eggs. But saying yours is a cock that's going to be hard and the only way you could tell is if you had some of his siblings. Why is that? Green eggs are blue eggs with a brown coating on it ? (all eggs start out white but the bird pigments it) Some you wouldn't be able to tell (especially ones that lay the blue eggs) because the pigmentation comes from the hemoglobin from the chickens bile. The question that you were asking about the offspring laying eggs would all depend what color does the lavender orphingtons lay? Brown would indefinitely make some green eggs (Easter Eggers are perfectly capable of laying blue eggs but purebred Ameraucana's are not capable of laying green eggs)

I am not sure what the chicks will look like perhaps but saying that white could be any color (white is just a lack of two or three main chicken pigments) you would find some whites in your hatching. I would actually use the chicken plug in calculator you can find online. Here's a guide to color genetic codes that will help you fill it in:http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page3.html

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Ear lobe color is not connected to egg color. Lots of hens have red ear lobes..........

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Whoops, didn't mean that. That was what we were taught by some experience poultry experts but when I read up on my genetics not too long ago I disagreed with it. I'll go in and change that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by