white ameraucana rooster over mauve hen

tiktilaok

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
hi everyone, i recently hatched several mauve, choco, blue, and black chicks from a choco orp rooster and blue cross breed hens.
as i was browsing through different sites, i came across these chocolate easter eggers that really fascinated me. with that fascination, i want to start a breeding program to make those choco EE's

aside from the several mauve, choco, blue, and black chicks that i had recently hatched, i currently also have white ameraucanas ( male and female), white easter eggers, and pure chocolate orpington roosters and hens

my questions are:
(1) does anyone have any idea on how to start making chocolate easter eggers?
(2) can i start with a white ameraucana - choco orp pair?
(3) or a choco orp rooster over a white EE?
(4) if i use my mauves over a white ameraucana or EE, would i be able to produce mauve EE's?

i am hoping i am not biting more than i can chew, but your insights would be of much help.
thank you very much!

I would personally only use the true Ameraucanas. Because you'll know they have two blue egg shell genes and will pass on forward.
That will be an advantage for the first generation.
Use your chocolate rooster. Chocolate is sex linked so with the first cross he will pass chocolate to all chicks but the pullets will be chocolate and cockerels won't but will carry it.
Then there's options which way to go. Id breed an Ameraucana to the chocolate pullets. Those offspring will result in males split for chocolate. Then breed one of those back to an Ameracana to produce about half of the pullets being chocolate. Then repeat, repeat.
Eventually you'll have to breed offspring together to produce both male and female chocolates and you'll also have to breed to get the males to carry two chocolate genes so they'll breed true.
You'll also have to at some point test breed a lot of birds to figure out which ones you have that carry two blue egg shell genes so they'll breed true for that unless you just want EEs that produce a lot of brown egg layers.
The one hitch is the white your Ameraucanas are. If they're dominate white theyre gonna throw almost pure white offspring. That can be worked out but it is better when youre producing colored offspring to be able to see whats what.
If theyre recessive you be able to produce the offspring with color but the recessive can pass forward sight unseen so if not test bred out your line will eventually start throwing some white chicks.

that is very informative! a big thanks!
but what about using mauve? i mean, a white ameraucana rooster over a mauve hen. what chick colors could i possibly get?

Mauve is chocolate and blue so everything about the chocolate still applies. You just have to throw in that half the chicks will show blue when using mauve in place of chocolate.
The whites are still gonna be the issue until you figure out if they're dominate or recessive and what genes they carry underneath. Those underneath genes are gonna be in the mix and can throw the project in different directions.

Back
Top Bottom