1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

White Ameraucana's? What do you think? pics included

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, May 23, 2010.

1. We just hatched out what were represented as white Ameraucana's. There are 2 shades going and 2 different leg colors. Looking for some experienced Ameraucana input on the chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Steve

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    They are all white. It may have to do with dominant or recessive white gene at play or could be due to silver/gold factor that is resulting in the 2 shades. I will say that when hatching white orps and white araucana I have always seen two shades. You'll find some feather out a more bright white and others tend to have a more tinted white plumage. Those are nice chunky chicks!

3. Thanks so much, what is your take on the leg color? Will that change as they age? What we have always hatched before has had the slate color right from the start.

Steve

4. Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo

Cluck-a-Doodle-Doo In the Brooder

Dec 5, 2009
    Botetourt Co, VA
    We have hatched LOTS of Ameraucanas and EEs, if the leg color changes for us it gets lighter, never darker. That's our experience.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  5. jeb251

jeb251 Songster

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    because of the yellow legs, I would hope for EE at best, my white americanas have a very pretty slate blue color, as for the feather color, I wouldn't be concerned it normal they should feather out white

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

White Ameraucanas can have lighter leg color, I'm told by the experts.

7. Quote:Thanks, I don't like the looks of those yellow legs at all. The ones with the darker shade have the darker legs

Steve

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wouldn't use any for breeding for those that have lighter legs still at 16 weeks.

They should all end up white.

9. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    My "Ameraucana" chick had yellow legs, and somehow she turned into a Leghorn. [​IMG]

10. Quote:Can the legs change color with age? The other colors we have hatched from our own birds all hatched with gray legs. This is our first experience with white.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: