1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White and black spots on comb?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by haimlazy, Feb 23, 2016.

1. haimlazy

haimlazy New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    So this evening I went up to check on my chickens and my rooster's comb had black tips with a big white splotch. As I looked closer there was also this brown liquid on the front of his comb. He seems fit and healthy, and droppings are normal. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC -- can you take a photo (or two) of your rooster's comb so that we can see what you are seeing? Some of what you are describing could fall in the "nothing to worry about" category, but taken as a whole (specifically discharge you are describing) it is something I would want to have a better understanding of before advising any further, which is where seeing the things you are seeing will help.

3. haimlazy

haimlazy New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    Thank you for answering! Unfortunately since I am younger, and my parents are divorced I can only see my chickens once a week. I will get a photo as soon as possible.

4. haimlazy

haimlazy New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

Ok so i was lucky and quickly got a photo! When I came in the brown stuff on the front of the comb seemed more solid, and more like a crust. There is also some on the wattles which makes me wonder if its just droppings. The picture was taken just after it drank, so it looks more runny.

5. haimlazy

haimlazy New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    Anyone here?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. haimlazy

haimlazy New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    Alright i got an update. The black is more scratchy looking like a casing over the comb on some points, and the white has turned into more of a caramel color.

7. JustaSnake

JustaSnake Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2015
    I think it may be frostbite. Not sure about the discharge it could have broke open and got infected. Any others have any suggestions?

8. liz72703

liz72703 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2015
    Fayetteville, AR
  9. haimlazy

haimlazy New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    Yup that's it! Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by