1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

White araucana? Very long neck feathers**Better picture***

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickchickgirls, Aug 9, 2010.

1. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    I have a white baby who is about 18 weeks old. I kept five chicks from a classroom hatch, and of course, the one cute little banty ended up being a roo. He was rehomed at the start of July when he began crowing. The other four have made no sounds like roosters at all. This one is taller and extremely flighty. The feathers on the neck are really, really long. I thought it might be like an araucana's ear tufts that just haven't raised, but my husband thinks it is a rooster. Sorry the picture isn't great. I can't get it to be still and it is the one chicken that I can't ever seem to catch. Is it possible that a rooster wouldn't have even started any of the beginning roo sounds by 18 weeks?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    It is definitely not an araucana, based on legs and comb alone. The long neck feathers are called hackles and indicate it's a male. It's probably a white leghorn or white rock, or a cross of them with something else. What color is the skin on its earlobes? Leghorns have white and rocks have red.

3. chickchickgirls

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    We have three leghorns and he looks a lot different than them. He has bright yellow legs and his earlobes are irridescent. There was a picture on the breeds page of a white araucana that looked like him, only with feathers all puffed out around the neck. He hasn't made any attempts at crowing or even noises at all. Shouldn't a roo be crowing by now? He is getting close to 5 months. I would love to keep him as long as he doesn't crow. The ladies might like have a gentleman around! [​IMG]

4. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Wow, I stand corrected! Here is proof that you can't believe everything you read on here, cuz you obviously couldn't believe me. I've been looking at pics of white araucanas, and there are a lot with yellow legs!

I dunno about your bird. Hopefully someone will come along who does... good luck!

5. chickchickgirls

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    Actually, I read it a few days ago and just never posted! [​IMG] I appreciate any input or advice. I was shocked to see the picture of the white one and actually thought maybe it got mixed up when someone posted. I love how people are so helpful on here and didn't mean to imply I didn't trust you. I was reading some other posts and thought maybe White Rock? His comb and legs don't match my leghorns. Mystery?!!?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: