white baby, not white parents?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by slim1986, Sep 12, 2012.

1. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    So I have an all white duck hatched in june from a blue swedish hen and a rouen drake! Anyone else out have these results?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Could they be carrying a recessive white gene?

3. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Neither look to be cross bred, but could very well be, all their other babies look like the rouen, just with hints of blue thru their feathers, like blue laced rouens! Lol

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I've had a similar thing happen with chicks. I ended up with two black chicks, and yet, I have NO black chickens. I've got white, red, and brown hens, and a white rooster and a blue/purple/brown/etc. cockerel. The funny thing is, I thought had a white mom, and what was thought to be a white dad, but the chick didn't turn out that way.....

5. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    All the ducklings went to new homes except for the white one and the last one to hatch, so idk what the others ended up looking like but since we are talking about hatching, what would make a momma duck abandon a nest after only a few ducklings hatch? One of our other ducks had 12 eggs, 6 hatched 3 were "duds" and the other 3 were half hatched before she took off and they froze in the night, we didn't mess with her during the hatch or the incubation at all (we didn't even know she was nesting until the day before the hatch) but when I went to check her the morning after she was gone and the 6 eggs were just sitting in the nest, 3 with dead babies half hatched???

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    when mixing breeds and hatching mutt (albeit very cute ducklings) you can and will get a wide variety of looks including solid colored, whites ect. Its part of the mixing of breeds and why mixes can "look" like certain breeds when in fact they are from mixed parentage.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That's the thing about mixed breeds. You don't know what you will get.

The entire reason for purebreds is that you get predictable results when breeding.

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    There are some folks who enjoy the anticipation of seeing what you'd get by crossing pure breeds - there's certainly nothing wrong with doing so.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's where the Golden 300 hybrids came to be so popular. and very pretty too. [​IMG]

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Well, you know how I feel about Miss Gabby! She's (so far, and only 22 1/2 weeks) a laying machine! I think they are a lovely breed....er....hybrid, as well! It's funny, Metzer Farms describes them as "drab" in coloring, but I find their coloring warm & beautiful! Anyway...sorry, I hijacked your thread. They really should give me a new title: Professional Thread Jacker - I'm always seeming to do this. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by