White band of missing head feathers

Sunnyabc

Chirping
Mar 20, 2018
Hello BYC and thank you in advance! My 8 month old Buff Orpington has this odd white band of missing feathers on her head. I don’t notce others picking or any excessive scratching on her part. She does have periodic bouts of Mareks but so far gets by fine with some occasion balance issues. Energy, Eating, pooping and laying all on part with the other 3 hens. Might anyone know what this is and if there anything I should be doing to address it?
Many thanks!
Amy
2BED68EB-BAA7-4838-B33E-9251FEDA59D2.jpeg

Check her really well for lice and mites.
The skin looks dry, white and rough? It's hard to tell. If she suffers from Marek's, she may not be dust bathing or preening very well - she would also be more susceptible to other conditions due to a weakened immune system.

I do wonder if the dry white skin could be fungal like Favus. It may be worth putting an anti-fungal cream on that area to see if it clears up.

Thank you so much! I have been looking at the base of her healthy feathers but haven’t seen anything glaring. Would it take a magnifying glass to see mites and lice? Also, what would an antifungal cream be...? Is there a human product that could be used or would this be a vet visit?
Look around her vent and under the wings for lice. Checking at night, you will be able to see the mites, most of those live off the bird and come out to feed while roosting.

Anti-fungal cream like Lotrimin (Athlete's foot cream) will work.

Look around her vent and under the wings for lice. Checking at night, you will be able to see the mites, most of those live off the bird and come out to feed while roosting.

Anti-fungal cream like Lotrimin (Athlete's foot cream) will work.
Got it! Thank you! :bow

Check her really well for lice and mites.
The skin looks dry, white and rough? It's hard to tell. If she suffers from Marek's, she may not be dust bathing or preening very well - she would also be more susceptible to other conditions due to a weakened immune system.

I do wonder if the dry white skin could be fungal like Favus. It may be worth putting an anti-fungal cream on that area to see if it clears up.
Thank you so much! I have been looking at the base of her healthy feathers but haven’t seen anything glaring. Would it take a magnifying glass to see mites and lice? Also, what would an antifungal cream be...? Is there a human product that could be used or would this be a vet visit?

Back
Top Bottom