1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White/Barred Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Harborotter, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Harborotter

Harborotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Washington State
    I was wondering if a white Muscovy can carry the barred factor? I realize that it would not be visible, but would it carry it and be able to pass it on to it's offspring?

Thank you for any answers!!!!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Certainly!
    Barred won't show on the outside unless the duck has 2 copies of it. So by breeding your white to a barred drake (any barred or one you know is a barred carrier) that will tell you if she carries the barred gene. If any offspring at all turn out barred, then shes definitely a carrier

1 person likes this.
  3. Harborotter

Dec 4, 2014
    Washington State
    That is what I assumed but I wanted to be sure so I would know when I crossed my white hen with a barred drake. Thank you so much for your reply!

4. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    You're welcome! If you breed her to a barred drake and none of the offspring end up barred, then she's not a carrier but the babies will be

1 person likes this.
  5. Harborotter

Dec 4, 2014
    Washington State
    I doubt she is. I don't know what her parents were as she was given to me. But she is pretty and her babies will at least carry the barred factor. I got lucky and was given both hens.

[​IMG]

6. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Lovely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by