1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White bearded Silkie...think he has the potential to be SQ????????????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by k2chickens, Dec 27, 2009.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My little boy Guido. Hatched him on Halloween this year so that would put him at almost 8 weeks old. At least i THINK it's a him, and this time i would prefer it really. The pics are not the best so im sorry for that. He would more than likely be worked into my breeding program because i think he could throw me some good chicks looking at that top knot and toe spacing, but then i hardly know anything when it comes to breeding/showing good SQ silkies. So if he get's the BYC nod of approval then he's got a good future ahead of him.

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I know nothing about what's SQ and what's not, as someone who only keeps chickens as pets, but my goodness that is a gorgeous silkie roo! He looks so soft and lovely! I wish I could give him a big hug. [​IMG]

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Looks to be a decent bird. He's still young so he's got a ton of feathering out to do.

BTW, what kind of meat is that...beef and pork? LOL

4. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:thank you!! [​IMG]

Quote:i will take decent! [​IMG] it is kroger brand "nasty" ground beef. My girlfriend does not know how to shop for quality meat so that's the last time i send her out for some LULZ!

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    I would say he has some potenial! He is really to young to tell he could go either way breeder or show. It deepends on how he fills out! But right now I would hang on to him and see!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    nice so far!

7. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:thank you

8. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Yep, I'd say he has potential. Let us know how he turns out. You should know for sure by the time he is 7 months old. [​IMG]

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Definitely has potential. He should get better and better with age. Silkies are slow to mature...he should be ready to show around 7-9 months. Keep us posted!!

10. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:well thank you, he was almost a cull...im glad i held onto him. I was told by another expert that he looks to have some issues with his feet. What do you all think??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by