White Bob White's or A & M's ????

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Yvonne37894, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    How do I know which I have ?

What is the difference between these birds?

Mine are white with a few spots.

[​IMG]

not a picture of mine, but they look just like tese

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

They look like A&M's to me

eggsrcool [​IMG]

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Definitely A&Ms. Are they laying? A&Ms lay speckled eggs and Bobwhites lay white.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    the difference is great actually...the carriage and shape are totally different...egg color has already been metioned...size difference...Bob's are bigger but take longer to get there and longer to lay and all that...sounds are different

5. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    These were adults when I got them.
    The roo's call is more like whip-or-will then bob-white.
    Most of the eggs are speckled, about 1 in 10 will be a sold light color from 4 hens
    I have hatched out about 30 chicks so far. All are white with either specks of color or a few colored feathers on their backs. Not sure of the weight of the bird, need to find a scale for them.
    Will I need to clip the wings for the new breeders?
    Do I keep the largest or keep the whitest for breeders?

6. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    That depends on what you want...birds big for meat or all white birds? [​IMG]

Based on what you said, I definately think they are A&Ms or they could be English White coturnix.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    There is a more meticulous difference between english whites and A&M. Yours are coturnix, you can tell by the shapes of their beaks. Plus I don't think the white bobs have color spots on them.
    The difference between A&M and english whites (both being coturnix) is the size, so you'd have to weigh them to see which you have. An A&M should be at least 10 ounces, the english whites would be about 6-8.

8. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    The birds in the pic, which are admittedly (Not your birds) are some strain of coturnix. Not bobwhites.
    If you could post some pics of the exact birds you are asking about, then people can analyze further, and make a more informed decision about exactly what you have.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
  10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Better to post links to pics. some people get upset when someone use their pics.

I know you said they were not your bird, but the engligh white and A&M hard to tell by pics, unless they are next to something or one of each. A & M were bred to get near a lb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by