1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White bumps on egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BellevueOmlet, Dec 16, 2010.

1. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I'll take a picture tonight but I got my eggs this morning and noticed that one of the eggs has white bumps on the bottom that look a like hard paste.
    I have been concerned since I let my chicken free range when it was raining and they got soaked, then their soil got wet from the rain coming in sideways.

They have not been acting any differently and do not seem sick. Do you have any thoughts on what the white bumps might be?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They are calcium deposits, just a glitch in the egg laying machinery, nothing to worry about.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    And most everyone's chickens go out in the rain. They grow good raincoats. They may look like drowned rats but as long as they have the choice to get out of the rain, don't worry about it. Mine will finally go under shelter if it's really really pouring.

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Thank you. I usually let them out all weekend during the days and when it rains, they find shelter or stay in but this time they just walked around getting soaked. I always over-worry about my hens so thanks for the info. I feel much better now. I feel much better about the spots; that makes sense about the calcium. I'm so glad they are still healthy and doing well. I don't have any kids so the chickens get treated as such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by