1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White bumps on wattle and combs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amcstay, Jun 5, 2009.

1. amcstay

amcstay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Good Morning!

I just went out to care for my girls and I noticed that my RSL who is 8 months had some off colored whitish bumps on her comb and wattles(worse on her right wattle than her left). The comb and wattle are also slightly less red than usual. What is up with that?

She free ranges in the PM and always has fresh water. She was eating grower up until today with scratch mixed in as a treat. She is with some 16 week olds so I had kept them all on grower until this morning.

Any ideas of what this is and if it is catching? I will try to post pics in a moment.

Thanks!

2. amcstay

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the best I could get.

Thanks again!

3. amcstay

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Anybody? Anybody at all?

4. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    It looks like the beginning of "dry" fowl pox. The "dry" type is not dangerous, but it is not fun to see. It is spread by mosquitoes! My chickens have it right now, too. It takes anywhere from 2-5 weeks to run its course. Sometimes the spots will get larger and get scabby, but as long as they do not appear inside her mouth/throat, it is not dangerous.

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

Elisabeth

5. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  6. amcstay

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thank you all. Well, if mosquitos carry this then I am doomed - tropical island = mosquitos!

I will do some more research but off hand is it transmittable to humans?

7. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    no

it has nothing to do with human 'chicken pox'!

[​IMG]

e

8. amcstay

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Great! Now, if I could just figure out how to get rid of all the mosquitoes here not only would my chickens be happy but so would my human family! [​IMG]

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Get yourself a propane powered Mosquito Magnet. It will clear up to an acre after one month of use. I live in NH where we have 4 seasons- long and painful winter, mud season, bug season and fall. We would be unable to leave our house if we didn't have our Mosquito Magnet. It's really made a difference. It was not cheap, but worth every dime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by