White bumps?

Aug 10, 2019
Hawaii
I have a hen who had a lot of bumps appearing on her face and I later found out it was because of mosquito bites. I was able to treat her with neosporin and she eventually scratched them off and healed.

Now my white rooster is experiencing bumps as well, specifically a large one near his eye and smaller bumps on his crown. At first, I thought he may have the same issue with mosquitos as my hen but the color of it has me worried a bit since they look white. I tried treating it with neosporin as well but it doesn't look like it's helping and the bumps aren't getting smaller at all. Besides the appearance of these bumps, he seems to be doing okay. He's still active and running around, eating and drinking water. Any thoughts as to how I can treat this?

Photo Aug 22, 9 01 42 AM (1).jpg Photo Aug 22, 9 01 18 AM.jpg

That looks to be fowl pox, a virus spread by mosquitoes. Do not handle the bumps or scabs, since that can spread the virus. It lasts about 3 weeks in most chickens, and most get better unless they get the wet form of fowl pox. That type can cause yellow lesions inside the beak and throat, and can make eating painful. Fowl pox may spread slowly through the flock over several months. The scabs when they fall off, may become infectious to other chickens when the dust from them are inhaled. Some people recommend applying Betadine to the scabs to help dry them out. There is a fowl pox vaccine in areas where the disease is severe. Survivors are immune to the virus afterward.

It is also called povidone iodine, and can be found in feed and farm stores, and Walmart sells it as Equate First Aid Antiseptic. It is not necessary to do anything, but some will paint the iodine on to dry them out. There is no treatment for pox except to make sure they eat and drink well.

That looks to be fowl pox, a virus spread by mosquitoes. Do not handle the bumps or scabs, since that can spread the virus. It lasts about 3 weeks in most chickens, and most get better unless they get the wet form of fowl pox. That type can cause yellow lesions inside the beak and throat, and can make eating painful. Fowl pox may spread slowly through the flock over several months. The scabs when they fall off, may become infectious to other chickens when the dust from them are inhaled. Some people recommend applying Betadine to the scabs to help dry them out. There is a fowl pox vaccine in areas where the disease is severe. Survivors are immune to the virus afterward.
Ahhhh nooo! :( I'll try to find some of this Betadine. Thank you so much for your help and info!

Back
Top Bottom