White Campbell unusual egg laying

DandDDuck

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
Uk
Hello, we have 2 Campbell Ducks, one White (Dolly) and one Khaki (Delilah). They've started laying recently and we've been getting 2 eggs in the morning which have been fine, solid shells and taste delicious.

Within the past couple of hours however, Dolly has laid 2 more eggs, both of which have had soft shells.

Is this anything to worry about?

They're fed layers pellets and have free access to oyster shell. They both seem heathly, eating and drinking and acting as normal.

Photos of the ducks are here: www.the twoducks.co.uk.

Thanks

Hello, we have 2 Campbell Ducks, one White (Dolly) and one Khaki (Delilah). They've started laying recently and we've been getting 2 eggs in the morning which have been fine, solid shells and taste delicious.

Within the past couple of hours however, Dolly has laid 2 more eggs, both of which have had soft shells.

Is this anything to worry about?

They're fed layers pellets and have free access to oyster shell. They both seem heathly, eating and drinking and acting as normal.

Photos of the ducks are here: www.the twoducks.co.uk.

Thanks
Pic wouldn't come up, but welcome to BYC, sometimes when ducks begin to lay they can have so problems getting the kinks worked out, I wouldn't worry to much yet, I have a 7 month old Muscovy duck that has been laying about 2 weeks and she laid a soft shelled egg 2 days ago, no egg yesterday and an egg today which was perfect. It is worrisome when they do this but hopefully it will work it self out, if it doesn't you may want to think about talking to an avain vet about what else is available to give her as far a supplements since your in the UK you probably can't get the same things we can and vise versa. Keep us updated on her next egg and hopefully everything will be fine from here on.
fl.gif

Pic wouldn't come up, but welcome to BYC, sometimes when ducks begin to lay they can have so problems getting the kinks worked out, I wouldn't worry to much yet, I have a 7 month old Muscovy duck that has been laying about 2 weeks and she laid a soft shelled egg 2 days ago, no egg yesterday and an egg today which was perfect. It is worrisome when they do this but hopefully it will work it self out, if it doesn't you may want to think about talking to an avain vet about what else is available to give her as far a supplements since your in the UK you probably can't get the same things we can and vise versa. Keep us updated on her next egg and hopefully everything will be fine from here on. :fl

Thanks for the reply, Dolly seems happy and healthy enough so we'll keep an eye on her. Was panicking slightly when it happened as we're about to go on holiday soon! the ducks are going to be left in good hands.

We have been trying to source some supplements, speaking to an avian vet (we have one nearby luckily) might be a good idea.

This is the link for pictures again, hopefully should work this time! -
http://www.thetwoducks.co.uk

Yes the link in the first post had an extra space. Oh, how darling those two!!!
love.gif

Just wanted to second Miss Lydia. While it is good to pay attention, and things can go wrong, there is a time when they first start, when you are likely to see some unusual things. If the shells don't start getting back to normal, calcium supplements, D3 supplements, and several other things can be tried. We have had a few ducks with troubles making good shells. I continue to try to improve their diet (base is organic layer pellets) with ground flax seed, wheat grass, fresh greens, a little cat kibble from time to time, etc.

Think I was most concerned that she had already laid a perfectly good egg in the morning, then had laid the 2 soft shell eggs in the evening of the same day. Thought that was quite unusual!

Just one very small but hard egg this morning from one of the ducks - they're acting fine though, noisy this morning!

Maybe they got a little stressed yesterday with us moving their run - they're having a little holiday as well, moving just down the road.

They are adorable thanks for sharing the link, I think she'll rest today hopefully, when mine laid the soft shell she didn't lay the next day. Keep us updated on how she is doing and any thing the avain vet says, most of us haven't access to an avain vet and any tidbits you get would be very much appreciated. That's how we learn.

Back
Top Bottom