1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Chantecler from Ebay seller ?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jab91864, Jun 10, 2008.

1. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I took these pics today of the same chick. I purchased 6 white chantecler eggs and 6 buff brahma eggs from a seller on ebay. Out of the 12 eggs this was the only egg to develop.

The eggs were not marked and since it didn't have any feathering on the legs I made the assumption it was a white chantecler. Now the description describes the birds as rare white chanteclers and shows a beautiful solid white roo.

I have 4 chantecler hens. They all have cushion combs. I have had several chantecler roosters in the past....again they all had nice cushion combs. If you look at the pics I am questioning not only the color.... obviously the bird is not solid white, but also the comb.

I do know the seller has various breeds, one of which is a columbian wyandotte. So I am wondering if perhaps somebody got the eggs mixed up or a roo was visiting the wrong gals...

What do you think pure chantecler, mutt or maybe a columbian wyandotte ????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the input....

Julie [​IMG]

2. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    columbian wyandottes have cushion combs as well

3. jab91864

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Wyandottes have more of a rose comb. A cushion comb lays flat against the skull.... there is a definite difference as I have wyandottes in my flock.

Julie

4. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    Quote:o im just telling you what my columbian wyandotte has

5. jab91864

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Here is a pic of one of my 4 mos old cockerels from last year (chantecler)

the comb is flat to the point of being almost non-existent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a comparison of my wyandotte for a comb

[​IMG]

The only reason I mention a columbian wyandotte as a possible for the chick is because of the wing markings.... it could be anything...lol

Julie

6. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    there isnt really that much of a difference..it doesnt really matter

7. jab91864

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    It matters to me since the comb is specific to what I want in the end.

I appreciate you taking the time to express your opinion. I'm not looking for a debate, just some opinions on whether the breed the chick is suppose to be is correct.

Julie [​IMG]

8. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I think you are probably going to have to wait a bit to be sure. But it does resemble a Columbian Wyandotte. As it matures the comb will probably help you decide. I would also hazard to say it is probably a boy. Its legs are very thick and its comb is starting to show pretty well.

9. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    How old is this chick? And also...just curious...why don't you ask the seller? That way they have the chance to say *oops* I screwed up here's some more eggs to correct the problem....or no that's the right bird the black will fade (I really doubt this answer is correct, but hey...ya never know!)

10. jab91864

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    The seller and I have already had a disagreement over the eggs/hatch.

I don't see the feathers molting out to solid white either...lol. I believe chanteclers only come in partridge, white and buff....

The comb is unlike any other chanteclers I have had in the past so I am going to venture to say perhaps it is a mix...somebody got in the chantecler pen.

I'm trying to steer my flock away from single combs, prefering rose, pea or cushion so the chick could still work out in the "mix" of things.

Thanks for the input

Julie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by