White chick from French Black Copper Marans

perrym1962

Songster
14 Years
Oct 21, 2007
Eastview, Ky..
Bought 12 hatching eggs from seller on ebay. Pure French Black Copper marans and that is all they have on the place. !00% positive feedback rating on seller. One I hatched:/ is solid white. Huh? Think maybe they are not pure bred? Just wondering, don't know anything about them. Also might add out if 10 viable eggs on lockdown I hatched 8. Great for shipped eggs huh?

Last edited:
Congrats on a great shipped-egg hatch.
smile.png

Did they have other marans colors listed?
Is it possible that they have other colors of marans and the egg got in by accident?
Does it have feathered feet like your BCM chicks?
Carolyn

They only have 1 type. Black copper marans. I was told it is because of the recessive wheaten gene that causes this. Have not checked the legs yet, only opened for a sec to get a pic..
I also posted this in another section so if anyone sees 2 different posts forgive me...
002.jpg

I raise Wheaten Marans and that yellow chick is a Wheaten...not white. Depending on the particular genetic line of the Black Coppers one will get Wheaten sports from them......some more than others. That recessive Wheaten gene is in a large number of the BLack Coppers.

Peggy

We have Black Coppers, Blues, Blue Coppers, Cuckoos and Whites. Occasionally, we will get a wheaten chick from some of our Black Coppers. We have gotten Whites from some of our Cuckoos. This chick looks more like a wheaten to me. I agree with the others who have posted, this is a wheaten sport.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom