White Chick - Is she pecking her own feathers out?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PlentywoodFarm, Mar 16, 2013.

1. PlentywoodFarm

PlentywoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Hi all,

I'm new here and am hoping for some advice. I have six baby chicks I brought home from a breeder last. 4 wyandottes- one white, two blue laced red and one splash, a rhode island red and a barred rock.

I didn't notice it last night, but my white wyandotte's feathers look sort of wet and damaged on her wings and the skin is red. I have noticed that she keeps nuzzling and pecking her beak against the spot like she is itching it. I have seen some of the other chicks do the same thing, and I am wondering if it is something to be worried about or if it is just noticeable on a white chick.

She is about two weeks old, and the largest in the brooder. She seems to be the most dominant, so I don't think it is the other chicks doing the damage. The photo doesn't really capture the wing very well, but it is the best I could do. Sorry if this is a stupid question! I tried to search the forums for a similar thread, but came up empty handed.

Thanks so much,

Jessi

[​IMG]

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Hey Jessi! I don't think that's a stupid question at all. There are two things I can think of right now but will continue thinking about. Number is that she seems to be of the feather growing age and that is a very uncomfortable time for a chicken. They just seem so itchy! I have seen similar symptoms in my own chicks. The other thing is that they might have mites. I doubt that but it is a possibility.

You could really take care of both things with one move and that would be to let them take a dust bath with a little diatomaceous earth in it. Mine always love to take dust baths during feather growth and the D.E. will take care of any mites! Good Luck!

3. PlentywoodFarm

PlentywoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Thank you, Megan Amber, for the input!

4. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    No problem! Let us know how things work out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by