White Chick Mystery? SWF?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Porterfive, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Porterfive

Porterfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Collinsville, MS
    Single White Filly? or Single White Fella?

The Story: We got this chick as a 'rescue' through a few people from a college kid doing a dissertation of some kind on this chick she was raising.

We think it's about 5-6 weeks old based on it's feathering. It still has many baby feathers on it's head and is looking really scruffy. All white feathers and looks like a single comb to me. This chick seems very large and heavy for it's perceived age?

Check out our pics of her or him and tell us what you think? Roo? Hen? Rock? Cornish? Something else?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/porterfive/2107287044/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/porterfive/2107287052/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/porterfive/2107287064/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/porterfive/2107287074

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thats a cornish X I think sorry.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

A cornish x who doesn't look like it's had the chance to have been gorging on feed. If that is what he is, it's a meat bird and is meant to go to slaughter at about 8 weeks old. They often live short lives and have lots of heart problems due to the fact they were bred for food. They do taste really good though, nothing like store bought chicken.

Edit: My meat birds usually weigh 8-10 lbs alive by 8 weeks old or so.

4. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Oh yes, I think that's a cornish! I raise 5 at home and they're monster-sized and they're just about to turn 3 weeks old. Mine already has a huge comb(but still orange) and large tail feathers! They'll be very strong at eating and pooping than other regular breeds. If you plan to keep him as a pet you should let it exercise often because it's a meat bird and will die early of heart problems. Or, you can slaughter it and eat. They have excellent meat quality.

5. Porterfive

Sep 12, 2007
    Collinsville, MS
    Ok, so it seems we've got ourselves a Cornish...so what do you think about it, a dude or dudette?

Or too early to tell?

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:A Cornish CROSS. Cornish are a seperate breed that do not grow too heavy to walk, and do not need to be butchered early on, if that was the plan. I would say its a cockeral.

Also, dont let people telling you its going to die deter you. Im not blaming that on anyone who posted, at all. Im just saying, sometimes people will tell you to take it back, or kill it now. I had one live for over a year, and I never limited his food intake. Just enjoy the little guy. They are usually super friendly chickens. [​IMG]

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have to agree with OEGBman....dont set its fate to be on a plate. I have 3 cornishx 2 hens and a roo. They were hatched the first part of April. Yup, 8 months old. They are very sweet, docile birds. They waddle over and lay at my feet when I am in the coop. They were laying for a while, but molting now. Trust me, very UGLY stage for a cornishx. LOL I just hope they start to ley again soon, I want to hatch eggs from them. They will be crossed with a BO roo. Good luck with the little one..and enjoy it.

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Realllly Stupid question coming
    ((but I know nothing about meat birds)) [​IMG]

So if you have a regular cornish they will live fine ((like all your other chickens))

You should just watch the feed intake!

9. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Yes, pure cornish are like any other chicken. Meat birds have been selectively line bred to get the most meat yield to the least amount of feed consumption. Cornish crosses are great pets and do not have to be destined for the freezer.

10. Porterfive

Sep 12, 2007
    Collinsville, MS
    So is a Cornish X a cross between two other breeds? (if so what breeds) or was it given it's name for some other reason?

After watching this young one for a couple days, it seems very sluggish...she/he seems to sit ALOT, seems to be alert, but just sits all the time and doesn't seem "steady" on her feet?

When my standards (even the heavy ones) were young, they were like track stars and only stopped moving when sleeping.

I hardly notice my other standards breathing, but this one, I can see her body moving alot with her breathing. Are these things typical of the Cornish X?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by