White Chick.. What Am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DarkWolf, Apr 5, 2009.

1. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Ok, so I've just about got everyone else IDed except for this one.. I really want to have a good idea of what it is and moreover, if it's a roo.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How old is the chick? Is it possible it is a Cornish X (meat bird)? It's stance says roo to me, but it is hard to tell so early.

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    IF it had longer legs, id guess a modern game. I have one that looks just like that, but shes got longer legs....

4. wolfie

wolfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Quote:yeah I was thinking Cornish x also.

5. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Great pictures.

I'm think White Leghorn?

What kind of camera do you have??? Those pictures are great!

6. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    I was thinking Cornish X as well, though I THOUGHT they didn't sell meat birds. Must have been mixed in.

I'd had it for a week so far since getting them from the store. It's larger than the others, but has not gone beyond, so I thought it was just older.

Camera is a Cannon Digital Rebel XT with the "not as good" lens on it.. a Sigma 26-70mm. Takes awful closeup pictures.. I've got a better lens, but it's large and more for outside and macro pictured. Have to be a ways back to get it to focus right.

I'm hoping that it's not, but fear that it is.. I've already got a Buff roo and don't need another, top that off with the grows like mad and dies early meat birdiness of the Cornish X and it becomes rather depressing.. :p

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  7. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Anyone else have an opinion to add, or would it be best to wait a week and see once it's grown out more?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    It could be a leghorn. If you wait another week, it'll be easier. Watch and see if it grows bigger than the other chicks -a cornish x will be obviously larger and have thicker legs in a week or two, while a leghorn or white rock will still blend in with the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by