White chick without white parents?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 3chickadees, Jun 6, 2016.

1. 3chickadees

3chickadees Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    My broody hen just hatched four chicks, and two of them are a very pale yellow. They look like they will grow up to be white chickens, but the friend who I got the eggs from does not have any white or light chickens. Could a recessive gene from a "golden comet" show up with a white chick? Has anyone had a pale yellow chick grow up to be anything other than white?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

The most common white gene is recessive. Breed two carrier parents together and 25% of the chicks will be white.

3. 3chickadees

May 4, 2014
    Hmmm... The roos in my friend's flock are RIR and RIR Barred Rock cross. I don't see how these could be carriers of a white gene, unless there was some other mixing along the way; which could very well be the case.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Some breeds will carry recessives for decades without showing them. All hatchery birds have some history of crossbreeding. I believe the White Plymouth Rock was originally a sport of the Barred Plymouth Rock, so even pure BPRs may well carry white.

5. 3chickadees

May 4, 2014
    Yes, that makes sense. Genetics are fascinating, and I love watching these barnyard mutts grow up. You never know what you're going to get, but I sure never expected white chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by