1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White chicken with yellow legs and big tail...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nojobro, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Nojobro

Nojobro New Egg

Aug 15, 2012
    Anyone know what type of chicken these might be? We got them as chicks from a rescue. They were hatched in late June, we think. The picture is from a month ago. Now both birds have similar, big tails. No crowing; but still no idea if they are pullets or cockerels, really. [​IMG]
    In the picture they are about 10 weeks old. Very yellow legs. These birds, a month later than in the picture, are still smaller than my hens, but getting much closer in size (I have a small-for-breed chantecler, an ameraucana, and a production red). I don't really think the tail on the one with the bigger tail in the picture is any bigger than it was in the pic, but like I already said, both birds now have similar tails. These birds are flighty and hard to photograph well.

Thanks for any help!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Might be leghorn pullets, do they have white earlobes?

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I believe I see red earlobes. Perhaps white rock, but since you got them from rescue, there is probably a good chance they are mixed.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both look like pullets to me. They may be Leghorns, White Plymouth Rocks, or Leghorn mixes.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

6. Nojobro

Nojobro New Egg

Aug 15, 2012
    My husband said they are the same color as the combs, which he called "pinkish."

Glad to hear they look like pullets. When the first tail popped, I thought we had a roo. We're in the city and can't have roos.

Thanks, everyone.

7. Nojobro

Nojobro New Egg

Aug 15, 2012
    Sorry, when I said "they" I meant "the earlobes."

Thought I was quoting. Screwed it up.

8. Nojobro

Nojobro New Egg

Aug 15, 2012
    OK, I looked at the chickens myself. They have white earlobes. (I think perhaps my husband doesn't exactly know what a chicken's earlobes look like, haha). I also noticed they are not 100% white with each having a darker, mottled feather or two (white with darker mottling). So: Leghorn mixes? :)

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, they are probably Leghorns or Leghorn mixes. Even Leghorns occasionally get some black feathers or black flecking.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by