White chicks. breed/sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babyrnlc, Aug 8, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    We got these white chicks from a guy that said they are 5 weeks, but were hatched in May, so they must be at least 8 weeks. WE were told pullets, I suspect one cockeral, I could be wrong. We are only keeping one, so no big deal. Also what breed do you think they are? They came from Ideal. Can you tell the difference from Leghorns and white rocks at this age?

Chick 7:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 6:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I am going to guess Leghorns. Yes pullets have large combs. I have two and people think they are rooster. Leghorns will have white earlobes and Rocks will have red ones.

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    White Leghorns - slender body shape, huge combs, white earlobes and white eggs
    White Rocks - heavy body shape, medium size combs, red earlobes and brown eggs

They look like White Leghorn pullets to me. White Leghorns get comb development early, so I think that #2 is still a pullet since the comb is flesh colored. [​IMG]

4. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:Thank you, would the earlobes turn red when the combs do (before laying) or would they be turning red already?

I am ok with either. We only have 2 white egg layers and lots of brown, so I would be ok with leghorns.

I know what you mean about the large comb think. I have an Ancona and I have to fight with people that try and convince me it is a roo. I win, cause they cannot explain away the little white egg lol!

5. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Yes it will turn white the closer they get to laying. I have Buff Rocks and they are huge compared to my leghorns. The different birds have a distinct body shape when viewed from the side. If you have full side body pictures it would be easier to say for sure. If you look up Feathersite.com they have great photographs of all poultry so you can see the difference.

6. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:They are the biggest chicks of the bunch (There are brabanters, bo, welsummer, Salmon Faverolles)

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I, too, vote white leghorns. Watch for that beautiful pearly white earlobe. Will be beautiful snow white adults. Very striking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by