White 'Chinese' Chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CarlaRiggs, Jun 13, 2008.

1. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

My friend purchased this chicken in China Town, here in Los Angeles. These chickens are sold to Asians who butcher their own chickens. She is extremely mild, can be picked up, and doesn't seem to know how to be a chicken! She barely scratches, eats little but regular chicken feed, and seems clueless pretty much.
    Can someone give me some suggestions as to how old she is? Although the hen is a standard size, her comb is pinkish, and very small; she may have been a battery cage hen... My question is her age ~ young pullet not yet laying, or an older hen through with egg laying. I'm thinking the former, but I'd appreciate any thoughts.
    And what breed of chicken do you think she is?

Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carla

Sorry, Tanya! I forgot the photos.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Is it possible for you to post a pic of her, Carla? That would probably be the only way someone could help you.

Tanya

3. CarlaRiggs

Bumping this back up..... anyone have an idea?
    Could she be some type of meat bird?

Carla

4. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Carla, that looks like a meat bird. I know lots of people that have kept them healthy for long periods of time by simply giving them lots of room to wander about. I couldn't tell you boy or girl, someone with more knowledge could do that. But the bird looks really healthy so far!

Tanya

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    It doesn't look like a meat bird to me, it looks to be like a white rock or something similar. A female, and not yet laying so she is pretty young. Probably kept in a cage her whole life so far. [​IMG]

6. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor thing, I hate when they are kept in those cages. No wonder she doesn't know what to do. I am glad you have her now.

7. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    AAH! She'll pick it up...and be scratching to her hearts content and dirtbathing in no time...looks like a girl to me! Kudos

8. CarlaRiggs

Thank you for the replies. [​IMG]

Carla

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'd say girl as well, and I'd guess a few weeks from laying age. She looks to be in good condition - not sure what breed.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    *Definitely NOT* an ex battery hen.

If your friend has other chickens, a good looong quarantine period would be smart. Bless her for rescuing this one, though!

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by