White Chinese doesn't understand water

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jwbnav, Jul 17, 2010.

1. jwbnav

jwbnav New Egg

Jul 17, 2010
    Today I rescued a goose from the feed store chopping block and placed in with permission on a private fishing lake. It is older, friendly, not aggressive, in poor condition (feathers badly trimmed) and probably was raised in a desert yard. QUESTION: it doesn't want to stay in water and has yet to drink from the pond. It is imperative it understands water is safety around this environment and we may have to lock it in the boat house for a few nites. Any suggestions: could a White Chinese Goose not understand open swimming water? It literally scrambled out of the water when I placed it into a small 4' deep pond. Thanks. Even if it doesn't survive longterm I feel good about having rescued it from where I found it.

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    My geese go to the ponds to wash off and forage a bit but they never stay in the ponds long.

Also geese have to get use to a new area, heck if i put a new duck in my pond i am sure it would get out ASAP.

[​IMG]

3. glenntwo

glenntwo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Cedar Creek TX
    How about if you put a kiddie pool or a big tub full of water right on the shore line? If he gets into that, then maybe he'll get the idea and go into the pond.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Make sure you get some good goose food and have good shelter for it on the lake. What's worse than a fast chop on the block is a slow starving death in a pond or to be torn apart by a raccoon since it's a domestic animal who doesn't know better.

5. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Im sure you did the right thing by giving the goose a reprieve from the chopping block, but if you do have some second thoughts, think about finding him a barnyard home. Domesticated geese are doomed in just placed in a pond. Most people have no idea about that, and why would they? We're just letting you know.

My geese weren't raised with a pond, and now only go in the one I set up for them when I go stand right next to it. They have to be introduced very young or they won't "get it" as adults.

A single lone goose is not a happy goose, either, and will get depressed and listless, making it even easier prey [​IMG]

Where are you located? Maybe someone near you will see this post and try and help. Yes, it's only a "goose" but there are some fanatics here (who, me? [​IMG] ) and you never know [​IMG]

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My chinese goose wouldn't go in the pond until he was a year old. We introduced him to it in the summer, but he refused until the next spring.

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep if it wasnt raised in water it probably wont go in it. I had bought two young ducks one time and a snake killed one so the other had to be raised with the chickens and grew up thinking she was a chicken, she let the roo breed her and everything and she wouldnt even go in the little goldfish pond thing, that is the closest think I have to a pond here, and later we had to get rid of all our birds and the people we gave them to had a chicken pen and put the chickens in it and they had a big pond and some geese I think and I dont think she would go in there pond either. I dont know whatever became of her, I told them she thinks she is a chicken so I dont know if they ended up putting her in the chicken pen or leaving her out or if she ever did take to the pond, but I just know in the time I had her, I she wouldnt go in water and had no mother or other ducks to show her that she was supposed to, so like someone else mentioned, I think the best thing would be to find a barnyard home for it with people that have a pond and other geese and/or ducks and maybe it will see that they are going into the pond and eating there and it may do the same.

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

my saddleback pom, who I got when she was already arthritic and old, JUST learned to swim. It took her 2 months to even try the water, and she swims awkwardly, and looks kind of silly in the water... no grace. but I think she sort of likes it. She doesn't do it often..

9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:What silkiechicken said.

Quick and clean is better than slow and agonizing.

10. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    As others have said, please post in BST section and find a new home for it. Some geese never get the feel for water, if they weren't raised on it. Also, your new goose will probably want a friend - they are very social creatures. You were right in saving it, and unfortunately it seems you'll have to let it go to keep it happy. Good luck to the both of you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by