white chinese geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by lcw1995, Jan 22, 2011.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    a buddy of mine is getting some. he wants to know everything about them.
    tempermant, personality, egg laying ability, broodieness.
    all the major stuff.
    please and thanks.
    cole.

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't own any, but I am familiar with them as they are common in community parks, etc. The main thing that stands out is that they are very vocal and can be loud. Both them and the brown ones have a reputation for being aggressive, especially the ganders. But, they don't have to be aggressive and I think if they were handled right, would be less so. I've met some wonderful Chinese geese that were real sweethearts, even ganders. I find their personalities funny and entertaining, but have gotten frustrated with them sometimes. I can't tell you about broodiness or egg laying.

Edited due to typo.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    so they can be loud and noisy huh?
    ok ill have to tell him that.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yeah, at our lakes, they are the loudest of all the geese.

5. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    They mature quickly though, and will often lay/hatch earlier and more frequently than the heavier-bodied geese. They are often sold as "weeders" and are often cheaper. (Though ordering "weeder geese" may get you Chinese, mixed breeds, a combination, or leftovers). They do do a fair job of grazing. In my experience they CAN be louder and more aggressive than the heavier breeds, which are more laid-back in temperament than Chinese, in my experience.

Any goose can be a good goose though, or a bad goose. Depends what he's looking for and how he will raise them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by