White Chinese has stopped eating and become aggressive

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gg61501, Nov 14, 2010.

1. gg61501

gg61501 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Katy TX
    Hello Backyard Chicken gang!

I'm having a sad issue with our 5-month old male White Chinese. He has recently stopped eating his feed, which he used to eat voraciously. We've not yet been able to interest him in fresh veggies or fruit, though he has enjoyed wandering the property eating grass and bugs. But he won't even do that now. When he's let out he just wnders to the house and honks.

He honks almost all day now and is getting aggressive, even with me. Is he going through some kind of biological change -- like adolescence or something? Is this seasonal now that fall is getting close?

This has been going on for two weeks and not sure what to do. Otherwise, he seems fine -- no damage to his body or anything, doesn't feel bloated.

He is housed in a pen right next to our chicken run, has access to a pool of fresh water.

Not sure what his problem is -- any ideas? I'm really concerned for the bugger, but want to use the vet as the last resort because of finances.

Your wisdom and adive is appreciated! [​IMG]

Randy

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Does he have other geese for companionship? If not, he may just be lonely. He's starting to mature (think teen age boy and testosterone) and wants to assert himself and is longing for a mate. Occassionally human imprinted lone goslings go through this identity crisis. They can become extremely aggressive if not given an attitude adjustment.

3. gg61501

Nov 14, 2010
    Katy TX
    Thanks, sourland, for your input. No -- he doesn't have any other goose companions...just the chickens "next door".

The 'lonely adolescent' idea is really what my gut is telling me is going on with him, but I hate to see him like this -- and I'm not planning on adding any more geese. And the way he's acting right now I certainly don't feel comfortable letting him mingle with the chickens.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:It looks like there are a few options for you:

Find him a new home
    Eat him
    Get him a companion
    Keep him and let him be lonely.

5. Lund Poultry

Lund Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, WI
    I would say he is at that age that he is looking for LOVE! all of my chinas are aggressive all of the time and I rarely see them eat when there is grass around. As long as he is feeling fine and looking good I would not worry to much about it, but if the honking is driving you crazy you may want to find him a pen mate. If you are 100% positive it is a boy then make sure you get a girl and any breed will do. We had our china with some LARGE Pekin girls for a spell and they were fine with one another.

6. gg61501

Nov 14, 2010
    Katy TX
    Thanks for all the feedback! [​IMG]

It looks like I'm on the hunt for a companion for him. We took the little bugger in because his previous owner couldn't keep him because of their HOA. (Not sure why a goose would be a good idea in a neighborhood, but anyway....)

He IS a hoot to have around when he's not being so rowdy, too -- and we're not QUITE ready for the chopping block yet, either. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by