White Chinese laying at 20 weeks???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by shelleyd2008, Aug 7, 2011.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I know it's got to be her, my dad saw her on a nest earlier today and I found an obviously pullet-sized goose egg in that very same nest! I got her on April 4 and I believe she was only 3 or 4 weeks old. She was pretty small but she had most of her feathers, except what had been picked off from being overcrowded with who knows how many other goslings.

I know the White Chinese can lay pretty young, but 20 weeks? That seems a little too young!

This is a picture of her a week or so ago:
    [​IMG]

And here she was as a baby (smaller one on left):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I had to edit the first post because my brain was apparently not working yesterday. I've had the goose for 16-17 weeks but she was 3-4 weeks old when I got her. But is it normal for them to start laying so young?

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi Shelley

I've not had this happen but someone told me they had a cross Chinese lay at 8 months so I suppose it could happen. Maybe the summer days are still long enough to stimulate the ovary. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Pete [​IMG]

4. ironjerry

ironjerry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    medina, ohio
    Two years ago I got mine at about 6weeks in April and they laid eggs in late February. They are Chinese and the eggs were fertile as I hatched 3 in the hovabator that year.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I can see 8 months since they are rather small. I expected her to start laying in spring like 'normal' geese. But 5 months is a bit ridiculous, most of my ducks don't start laying that young! I doubt it's fertile since all my ganders are Embdens and are currently molting or coming out of a molt. I know it's got to be hers since the other females are an adult Embden and 4 'baby' Embdens who are a month younger than the Chinese. Plus the egg is half as big as the ones my adult Embden pops out [​IMG]

Yesterday's 'egg' was shell-less, so apparently she's still getting things in gear. I haven't seen one today yet but I haven't really looked either.

6. cmcm

cmcm Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    I have a white Chinese that started laying at 5 months too. I got her and her mate at a feed store in the middle of March and she started laying in the middle of August. She has layed 11 eggs so far! I was not expecting any eggs at all. Pretty amazing!

7. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Its pretty normal for Chinas.. I have 20 Brown Chinas.. and have some pullets that layed a few eggs in the middle of their pen from this years goslings...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by