1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

white chook that never lays

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by loidy, Dec 22, 2010.

1. loidy

loidy New Egg

Dec 22, 2010
    hello, loidy here, new to this forum. can anyone out there help me with a puzzle i have with one of my chooks. she is nearly two years old, pure white (not sure what breed) i hatched her from a fertile egg i got from a friend. she is really healthy, very active, bossy, busy, has the biggest, reddest comb of all my 16 girls. but she never, to my knowledge, lays an egg. yet she has, i know once, i saw her do it, on the grass, a year or more ago. a very small egg, like a pullets.

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    are you sure she's not 'hiding' them?

many hens lay their eggs under things, behind things...if your birds

free-range they could be anywhere! Not laying eggs isn't a good

sign.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Or eating them... (they can do this in a blink of an eye)

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:Yea I didn't think of that. She could be eating them as

soon as she lays them. [​IMG]

5. loidy

loidy New Egg

Dec 22, 2010
    a lot of the time they are all in a (large) enclosure & house, until early afternoon, & i've never seen her taking any interest in the nesting boxes while the others are queuinig up etc. i've checked and she is a leghorn.

6. loidy

loidy New Egg

Dec 22, 2010
    I have now found out that apparently, in a flock with no rooster (as mine is) sometimes one hen can take on the role of a rooster & have even been known to crow! this sounds very like my bird.

has anyone else come across this, & is there any way to snap her out of it???? [​IMG]

thanks guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by