White cloth over eggs to stabilize temp. . . true?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportChick, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    My father in law hatched chicks when he was a kid (he's 70 now) and looked at my set up and my incubating eggs (dark ones and light ones) and immediately voiced concern that the dark eggs will absorb more heat. When he was a kid he put a white piece of cotton cloth over the eggs to avoid hot spots in the incubator and improved his hatch rates. I have an LG still air. Has anyone else every tried this and if not . . . what do you think?

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    We've been tracking temperature spike stories on another thread and the general consensus is that heat DOES more adversely affect dark colored eggs and dark colored chicks when faced with a large temperature spike. Assuming you do not encounter a temp spike, however, normal incubation at normal temps shouldn't matter greatly. I don't know about the white cloth thing, though I have not heard of this being done. I can see where it might have some merit, as the heat must go through the cloth to get down to the eggs, or at least it would have to in my own still air incubator.

3. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I haven't read about it anywhere but I think my father in law was annoyed that I didn't take his advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by