white coated egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gibsterl, Jan 20, 2014.

1. gibsterl

gibsterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    So my hens have just started laying in the last week after a 2 month hiatus from a hard moult and shortening days, today I had an egg that had alot of white coating on it-almost like it was encrusted in calcium-I washed it and it came off easily, I unfortunately didn't get a picture. All my ladies' vents look healthy-any ideas?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    AllTech has a picture of what it lists as calcium deposits (second row on the right), I get eggs that look like that periodically, usually does seem to be in hens that aren't real good layers, or ones that are just starting up again ... think it mostly has to do with getting the egg laying system in gear again. Unless you have multiple birds doing it, or one hen doing it a lot, (then look at other causes) would chalk it up to something going on with the one hen at the time....
    http://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf

3. gibsterl

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Kelsie2290,
    Definitely what I saw-what a great chart! Thanks for your help.

4. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Some chickens leave a thicker layer of bloom on their eggs. It is a protective coating that keeps the eggs from absorbing bacteria. It is the same reason that it is suggested not to wash eggs.

5. gibsterl

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I understand about bloom and normally I never wash eggs, but this was an unusual amt of coating, and really looked like a calcium layer t(almost like lime scale) hat was not completely coating the egg but nearly was, I could chip some of it off with my finger. I only washed it to see if it would come off easily.

6. gibsterl

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Also-no new hens in my flock for a year-so this is a new occurrence-which is what made me curious.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If it was bumpy, it's excess calcium.

8. BelleFarm

BelleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Kingwood, New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Are these calcium deposits? This one hen has always laid eggs like this. These four are from different days - plus a few pics with welsummer eggs for comparison.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That looks like a heavy bloom. I have some hens that do that too.

10. gibsterl

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    mine looked the same-and haven't had any since I posted....so a heavy bloom makes sense to me. Others suggested too much calcium but if that was the case would have expected my eggs to have the white coating as an ongoing issue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by