white cochin pullet with dirty feet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Penske, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    OK...this might sound weird...

Maddie, our white cochin pullet is gorgeous. Her comb and wattles are coming in and they are bright red and she is PURE white...well, except for the black slippers!! She scratches all day in the run and by dusk, her feet are as black as coal. By morning, they are white again. I noticed today that they are looking a bit greyish. We keep them in clean conditions, tons of space, she's very happy. Will this present a problem for her feet??? On Monday, she'll be 9 weeks old.

Thanks!

Lisa

2. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Will they ever come clean?

3. VanSintjan

VanSintjan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    Belgium
    It is always difficult with foot feathers and with the years they will become worn out on free range chickens. Most show breaders keeps their foot-feathered chickens inside until they have been shown. Mine our out side but they are black. Something that helps is sand in the chicken house. I always use sand instead of straw or shavings and the chickens loves it. It cleans them up during the night when the weather is bad.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My white Cochins all have discolored foot feathers now. They are all over 6 months old and free range during the day.
    We have orange dirt in some places and black dirt in others. They just love to get as dirty as possible, especially after a rain!
    I have thought of trimming away a lot of those feathers but just haven't gotten that far. And now we have another 17 Cochin chicks in Partridge and blue so this ought to be real pretty! NOT![​IMG]

5. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Thank you for your replies! I just won't worry about it then. I'll set up a sand only dust bin in the coop or in the covered run--that'll help it sounds like!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by