White comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by biaj069, Oct 15, 2013.

1. biaj069

biaj069 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    [​IMG]
    So I rescued these ladies from the side of the road, yes all six. They were al REAL thin and not good looking, as you can see they all look good (am getting some eggs) except for one. She is the one closest to my feet, any who her comb is real pale almost white and shrunkin, I have given them a 10 day run of duramyacin, but I don't know what else to do for her. She does eat and drink with no problem. Any ideas?
    Thanx

2. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Worm them all and dust them with seven dust.

3. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    Sounds like they just need a lil TLC. I would maybe worm them with wazine, in case they have worms. And I would feed them fresh veggies, let them graze the yard, if possible, and feed them a good feed with about 20 percent protein until they recover.

If I have a sick chicken, I give them Gatoraide 1 part to 1 part water. I sometimes add a tablespoon sugar also. This will help them add weight and give them fluids. Mine always like it.

Who ever dumped them, must not have fed them good. They'll be fine after they put on a few ounces or lbs. Good luck!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They look like Leghorns and appear to be about the right size. Biaj069; is there a commercial egg operation near you? If so, they may have somehow fallen off a truck enroute to processing. If that's the case, they would be about 2 years old. Otherwise, they were probably dropped off by someone or escaped from someones property. The white comb could be favus. Could you post a closeup pic of her comb?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  5. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Just curious, how did you catch them? It's awesome that your :)helping them. :)

6. biaj069

May 26, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    These are the best that I can do for pictures. These ladies are not people friendly, they do come when they see me or hear my voice now, as I equal food. There is not a poultry place anywhere near where they were caught. As you can see she is dirty, they were all VERY DIRTY AND STINKY when they were caught. There were two more with them, a black and white one that someone else took and one that was blood red almost black, she was so ill I surrendered her. I am keeping them away from my other girls too, front and back yards. Grandma (as I call her) also seems to not have very good eyesight. So I shall worm, dust, and electrolyte them. Any other suggestions are very welcome.
    Thanx

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You stated that they were stinky...around the head area? In the top pic, it appears that there is facial swelling? If they are still stinking and have facial swelling, they might have coryza. If so, I recommend that you cull them and either incinerate them or bury them DEEP. They can and will infect your flock......biosecurity.
    The comb just appears to be very pale indicating a sick/weak bird, not favus. Hopefully they dont have coryza or any other diseases. Be careful.

8. biaj069

May 26, 2013
    They no longer stink, I think that whoever had them before kept them penned and dirty. And its a bad picture from zoom on my cell phone. Grandma has no swelling at all, she had her head sucked in. She is very slow and stiff in the morning though.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'd still keep them quarantined away from your existing flock. Make sure you worm all of them, head sucked in towards chest could possibly mean capillary worms in her crop...safeguard or valbazen will take care of capillary worms and other types of worms as well, dont use wazine. Redose them again in 10 days. Thoroughly check Grandma over for mites. Mites suck blood and can cause anemia, then death...pale combs can be a sign. If you see lice or mites on any of them, use sevin dust to dust them thoroughly, avoid the eyes and nostrils...wear a mask and old clothes.
    Get some poultry nutri drench and add it to their water per directions on the bottle or give each bird 2 drops orally once a day for 5 days. No more than 5 days, it will cause diarrhea.
    Open their mouths and inspect the inside of their mouths for lesions or spots, anything abnormal looking. Look at their ear canals for any type of discharges. Check their legs/feet for scaly leg mites, joint swelling or redness including footpads. Look for injuries all over that are present or have healed over, look for tumors and cysts. I hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by